Ibis szazbo 1995 (was Guess what I got)

Re:

My god that came out nice....given your opening shots

I'm surprised at how many versions of the "sweet spot" URT design thats out there

I've got a Schwinn build on the go but found at least two more brands using the same technology

Attachments

• stefan9113 .JPG
    stefan9113 .JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 1,060
  • 1997 Bassboat Factory XTR.jpg
    1997 Bassboat Factory XTR.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 1,060
  • twister_01.jpg
    twister_01.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 1,061
Re:

if you've got 5 mins it's an interesting read even for the neutral or hard-line URT hater :D

You are right. I kind of count the Klein Mantra also into that group. Thow it's technically not the "sweet spot" but still very similar. I have one of those. I have been riding it last summer. And I think the Kleins perform better. But the Ibis looks cooler somehow.

@syncrosfan: I can feel your pain. Drilling out 56 rivets must sure be anoying.

When I got home with that broken fork, I immediately went down to my basement. Took the thing apart and found, that the dampening cartridge hat separated. And I realized this was totally my fault.
When I got the bike "new" first thing I did was to take the fork apart and look at the state of the inner fork legs. They were good, so I slid out the dampener. It was the plastic body type. They were known to break and RS replaced them with aluminium types in later models. I had a alu-type sitting in a drawer and I used that when putting the fork back together. But. :D
All the judys I had before were XCs and _this_ was a DH. More travel. Longer dampening cardridge. I did not think about this :roll:

So this is how that cartridge came out of the fork leg:

Luckily nothing was damaged. The oil seal had slid out of the body, that's all.
To take advantage of the situation, I measured the oil seal for later reference. Should I decide to overhaul one of these.
The RS partnumber is 56404. It is a standard oil seal with two "lips" (one oil seal lip with spring, one dust wiper). It measures 10-22-7 mm (that is inner diameter/outer diammeter/width) for example: AS-10-22-07
There are two of those seals needed per cartridge.
(There is a little O-ring sealing the adjustment screw inside the main rod, I forgot to measure it...)

Next thing was to use the two best preserved seals in the plastic-DH-type cartridge, fill it with fesh oil (ATF II automatic transmission oil = cheap replacement for 7wt fork oil) and pop everything back together. Had a quick discussion on the german ibc-forum about how to correctly fill the thing. Found out, that there is al little rod/screw ininside the hollowed main rod. It is used to adjust the dampening rate and also to fill the oil and get rid of air bubbles.

Until then it was 1 o'clock in the night so the test ride had to wait for the next day.

The next day, I came home early. It was was clowdy and rather cold. But I just had to go. To make sure everything was in good working condition now. Due to the bad weather I took the opportunity to ride to trails ends I had seen before, but did not know where they started. I rode and pushed uphill. Found some really nice places. I'll defo have to come back. But next time the other way round.

On this pic you may see a far off tower at the edge of the mountain, thats where I was heading.

Same tower, nearly there. But right then it started pouring down.

I had to wait under a tree. Time to celebrate my "mountain peak banana" :LOL:

On my way down I was gritting me teeth. Very slipery after the rain. But I got home in one piece and the bike held up.
So I thought.
Until the next morning when I discovered that I actually had a flat tyre. The valves base was ruptured and slowly loosing the air. Ah well. :roll:

Tomorrow I'll be leaving to lake garda. I am so looking forward to this trip. I have been dreaming about that since I read the articles about those now legendary trails in the very early bike mags when I was about 16 years old...
It is going to be great, I hope. :mrgreen:

Back from my holiday trip. Lake Garda is sooo nice.
I only had one day for my mountainbiking, so I chose the infamous tremalzo round tour.
Here are some pics for you all :D

Lake Ledro 5km after my starting point in Biacesa:

The bicicle road to Tiarno. Very nice and rather flat

This is the road endlessly winding up from Tiarno to the Tremalzo pass. Few cars, 1200 meters upwards

Nearly there...

The Tremalzo pass tunnel. It was rather cold and windy. So I made this rather uninspired pic:

But right after that tunnel the view opens up and shows unbelievable impressive sights of lake Garda and the surrounding mountains.

The road was built by the military to supply a mountain fort in WW1. It is so nice to ride there. Views and views. Tunnels. Hard to describe the beauty.

That was the best tour I ever made in my life yet. 50km, 1600 hm round trip. I need to get back there next year. :D

Did you sort out the rear rim for your SPOX wheel set? If not, I dug out the front 24H rim from storage. It's in overall good shape, the braking surface is barely used, there is a flat spot/ding on one side (not very strong, wheel would be still usable, one could carefully hammer it straight). Check out the pics and let me know if it's something you would be interested in...

Attachments

• DSC06004.JPG
    DSC06004.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 956
  • DSC06006.JPG
    DSC06006.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 956
I sure am interessted. But I fear the shipping cost to Germany will kill me.
Do you know, how much that would be?

I checked the shipping cost for the rim to Germany would be 49$ (yikes!). Plus let's say 20$ for the rim (it's really more the hassle of packing it up and taking it to the postal office, I hate dealing with those morons!). If you think 69$ (basically 60 euros) sounds OK to you, I can get it shipped over.

Back