I have joined the Dawes Galaxy gang!

I have been doing some work on this bike here and there.
She now has all new brake cables and pads as I decided adjustment wasn't enough to make her safe and secure for my first ride.
The new chain I had in my spares pile turned out to be just the right length, which was lucky on 2 fronts; I didn't have to adjust it and it wasn't too short either 😁
I will have my first ride later today, after I watch the Grand Prix and do some chores 👍

It was just a five miler as I have a sore Achilles at the mo.
It felt very smooth once it got going, I probably need to drop the tyre pressures a little to make it even smother.
I like the bar end shifters, I have never used those before but they seem quite intuitive.
Not sure about the bar and brake combo/position, I will need tweak those.
Rich.

My first test ride had shown that the new pads on the rear needed toeing in to stop squealing. It has been fixed.

The straddle cable on the back is a lot longer than the one on the front. I will source a shorter one in due course.

I took her for a gentle 36 minute ride on Sunday (a good test for the bike and my achilles), it is a really smooth ride 😁

Nice bike and in the best colour they ever did! I would suggest you to ditch that ghastly chainset - that will save you 1-2lb in weight for starters! :D But Galaxies are never that light. However a lighter frame makes the whole thing too squirmy when loaded with a couple of panniers.

For bizarre reaons, Dawes always put deep drop bars on them - fit shallow drop bars and then you will be far more comfortable using them for longer, such as bashing into a headwind.

I'm sure the Brooks can be saved. The trick with the Proofide is to put plenty on the INSIDE of the saddle - it then feeds the leather from the back. ON the top, put a smear on, leave for 24 hours and then do it weekly for 4 weeks or so. But the stuff from the back keeps feeding the leather.

Don't put neatsfoot oil on, it will soften the leather and wreck the saddle.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input Hamster.

I think you are right about the crankset, and it will be replaced in due course.

The Brooks will be rescued as I have never ridden one and want to try it out.

I had an 80's Galaxy and it was a nice handling ride, with or without load. Mine had a Stronglight triple setup which worked well enough. It was even used as a base setting for when when Frank Herety measured me up for the the frame he made for me in the early 90's. Nice comfortable ride the Galaxy. Orbit are another in a similar vein.

Back