Dawes Super Galaxy (97) help required regarding "Shimano Silent Hub"

RS_Pete

Retro Newbie
Hi,

I have recently acquired a Dawes Super Galaxy and perhaps unsurprisingly looking for some advice.

I’m led to believe it’s a ‘97 year model but only because it has a sticker saying “Tour Series 97 Super Galaxy British Hand Built” on its seat post.

24 speed rear cassette being 11 – 28 not sure about front (bike is currently at my daughters!)

It has Shimano Deore LX derailleurs front and rear with bar end shifters.

Brakes are DiaComte LC-700 (which I am guessing are not original.)

Rims are Mavic MT221

Now where I am having a problem is the rear hub/ freewheel and cassette. The hub is a “Shimano Silent Hub” and I believe this may be an FH-RO80. This appears to be seizing up..

So, my request for help and questions are

Can the freewheel part of the “Shimano Silent Hub” be rebuilt?

Assuming it can’t, can another freewheel/hub fit and if so, what should I shop for?

Will this hub take current HG 8 speed cassettes? (I am curious as to what the differences are between CS-HG41/50/51 are when all offer various options including 11-32?)

IF (and I really hope this isn’t necessary) I have to replace the entire hub what is recommended?

Also, but purely for future information, can anyone tell me what size seat post and what size stem this is likely to have?

https://www.starbike.com/images/Shimano/PDF-Dateien/FH_R080.pdf

From memory (or urban legend?), the Silent Hub was specific to some USA Police forces on MTB. They are not that common, I've only ever seen one. A normal Shimano freehub replacement won't fit the hub shell. I'm pretty sure they were not meant to be rebuilt. I would try removing the freehub assembly, flushing it out, and soaking it in thick-ish oil to get it moving again. You may get more help on the MTB side for this hub.

https://www.starbike.com/images/Shimano/PDF-Dateien/FH_R080.pdf

From memory (or urban legend?), the Silent Hub was specific to some USA Police forces on MTB. They are not that common, I've only ever seen one. A normal Shimano freehub replacement won't fit the hub shell. I'm pretty sure they were not meant to be rebuilt. I would try removing the freehub assembly, flushing it out, and soaking it in thick-ish oil to get it moving again. You may get more help on the MTB side for this hub.
Thanks, had never heard of them till now!
Seems strange that something aimed at US police ended up on a UK touring bike... then I have no idea what was original equipment on this.
Needless to say its not looking good. Im hoping I can get it working but if not its a new hub....
As the cassette would no doubt benefit from replacement its probably too much to hope they have the same splines as current HG cassettes...!

They were still available for the market:

http://www.bikepro.com/products/shimano_tables/98_tables/shim_freehub98_table.html

Looks like there was a 7 speed Alivio version FH-R050. They just didn't appear on many bikes, probably more expensive, heavier and with no real benefit for a normal cyclist. The table above can also help you choose a complete rear replacement hub, which is probably better in the long run to be honest; the LX M565 (black) or STX-RC MC38 (silver) would be a fine choice, compatible with todays cassettes and a small 11T sprocket.

Is it the freewheel part that's seizing up? If so it might be that the grease has hardened. Dismantle the hub and give the freehub body a good flush through with WD40 from the back (prise open the rear seal). This will soften the grease, and you can then squirt more grease in via the rear. If it's rusted up then a replacement is needed.

Back