I have joined the Dawes Galaxy gang!

averagebiker

Retro Guru
I wasn't looking for a bike today I was looking for a bike part. I ended up with a different part than l was looking for.......oh, and a Dawes Galaxy project bike! So much for me reducing the project pile 🤦

Still I have always fancied one to try, it is in my size and I could probably get it rideable with a new chain and a quick fettle. However I think I will give it better than that. The derailleurs and cranks have been replaced with low end Shimano and she deserves better 😁

I think it is a 1995 model and I will do pics tomorrow when it is light and add them here.

I am hoping that the brooks saddle can be rescued but there are some cracks in the leather, so maybe not?

Here she is. What do we think the prospects are for saving the brooks saddle?

Attachments

• IMG_20220315_090336939.jpg
    IMG_20220315_090336939.jpg
    860.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20220315_090349743.jpg
    IMG_20220315_090349743.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 64
With the help of another member in am starting to think this is 1996 Galaxy.
Having had a better look at it today I am thinking I will do a rolling Restoration rather than a strip and rebuild. I think with just a clean, a fresh chain, a saddle and pedal swap and a bit of adjust ment on the back brake this can be put to immediate use whilst I decide what route to take with it 😁

Looks like a modern classic.

Brooks looks restorable to me, never done it myself, but a friend did once, he went for lots and lots of wax and a gentle warm in the oven.

Looks like a modern classic.

Brooks looks restorable to me, never done it myself, but a friend did once, he went for lots and lots of wax and a gentle warm in the oven.
Yes, my plan is to buy a pot of Brooks Proofride and see if I can get the saddle useable 🤞

Yes, my plan is to buy a pot of Brooks Proofride and see if I can get the saddle useable 🤞
I’d be interested to see how that works out, take lots of photos please

Last night I rooted through my spares pile and dug out some non-spd pedals, a new chain and a temporary saddle. I think the temporary saddle will go down like a bag of sick in here lol
Rich.

I managed a bit of kitchen workshop time tonight.
The stem an seatpost are not seized yay!
The rear brake is adjusted.
The SPD pedals have been swapped out
The brooks saddle has been removed for TLC (apologies for the temporary replacement used 😉)
Tomorrow after work I will remove the chain, give the wheels and drivetrain a good clean and put a new chain on ready fur a ride in the sun at the weekend.
Rich.

Attachments

• IMG_20220317_195751583.jpg
    IMG_20220317_195751583.jpg
    545.2 KB · Views: 27
Back