Help with Spin Wheels

The butler did it 👴🏻🩸🗡
Tee hee..
If you read through this thread you’ll realise I was very open and clear about the issues I was having with this hub which is why I didn’t offer them up for sale here.
Magpiegifts was well aware of this thread when he asked if I’d sell him the Trek these were bolted on.
So basically if you think you’ve been short changed I’m gonna drop a shoulder on this one. Soz

I said that because I thought you might be able to assist and offer advice as I know you was having issues with these Spins. However, you had sorted them out and resorted to a little spray every now and then in the hubs. That was the only issue I was aware of. Unless there's more I wasn't aware of?
Don't see why you would say what you have just said Peachy tbh

Anyway, back to the problem. I’m pretty sure you will jam the bearing up before you could do any damage to the carbon. I had intended to lock it in place with some loctite once I’d got it just in the right place (free running enough but with minimal wobble) I just didn’t get around to it before it got moved on to Magpie

I said that because I thought you might be able to assist and offer advice as I know you was having issues with these Spins. However, you had sorted them out and resorted to a little spray every now and then in the hubs. That was the only issue I was aware of. Unless there's more I wasn't aware of?
Don't see why you would say what you have just said Peachy tbh
Sorry dude, I got the wrong end of the stick, I thought you were trying to pass the buck.

ok so the 40mm hub lock ring is a new issue for all it would seem. I have read the thread hence why I’m asking. I have a blue locktite stick that I can try, is the red stuff better?

ok so the 40mm hub lock ring is a new issue for all it would seem. I have read the thread hence why I’m asking. I have a blue locktite stick that I can try, is the red stuff better?
I think the number on the bottle relates to how tough it is? The higher the stronger I think

Ok, so this thread has the rear hub service covered. Earlier today I replaced the front bearings 6001x2. I thought I’d add to the thread as a technical reference for others.

To start you need to unscrew the end caps from the axle using a 5mm hex on both sides. This one was stuck fast so it took a couple of sharp cracks to free up one side.

0DC24AF9-4CD3-4C3A-929E-8830FC4C20EC.jpeg

The other end cap was stuck in the hub, so I screwed the newly freed cap back in slightly (about half way) and tapped it free using a mallet and hope hub support. The end caps both screw into an alloy axle. Drifting the axle out also pulled the bearing out with it.
N.B.You need to remove both end caps from the axle. You won’t be able to remove the bearing with them in place.
98F0FC20-2BCA-491D-AF4D-70C81049201A.jpeg

Annoyingly, the other end cap was seized in the axle so it needs freeing using the vice which scored it slightly in the middle. Again short sharp cranks to snap it free.

5EA00B3F-B131-414D-BEBD-F8E42DE70567.jpeg
Then drift the axle away from the bearing. And slide hammer out the other gunky bearing from the hub shell….yuk!

20CC113D-B38F-42CB-A7C1-4FEAF1D5F97F.jpeg

Clean up the hub and install your fresh 6001’s. I’d go for NTN or SKF but be careful of fakes on eBay etc…

F4F27029-62ED-47BA-951C-05342F225EA1.jpeg

This press has already paid for itself the amount of times I’ve used it. It took a few attempts to get the bearing seated square on. I rotated the wheel as I pressed home the bearings and I used a small amount of park antiseize paste on the shell.
Don’t forget to put the axle back in before pressing the other bearing in, it wont pass through to its central location with both bearings installed.

AB41F61C-18E4-4E9C-8CA7-C32C46B6AA0D.jpeg

Tighten up the end caps (not too much preload mind!) and it might take a bit of faff to locate the axle again.

5CB2FB6B-C095-4A5C-A3F9-7D43D9822F23.jpeg

All done!
Hopefully that’s the wheels sorted for a while and I hope this helps someone out in the future.

@Factory Jackson
Or others
Any help on this?
I have the Hadley allen axle model. When i dismantled it,i kinda lost the shim order.
Now the freehub is grinding a bit on the hub flange (two yellow lines). Is there a spacer that goes there?
Also
-there's a rubber gasket/seal with a slot in it. It goes between the freehub and inside bearing. Does the slot goes inside or outside?
- There's also a small flat washer, not sure where it goes. Between freehub and inside bearing or Between axle ends and bearing?
Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 20230806_092350.jpg
    20230806_092350.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230806_092334.jpg
    20230806_092334.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230806_092401.jpg
    20230806_092401.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 2
Back