BULLSEYE/AMBROSIO/Titanium spokes wheel build!!

Skeeter1

Kona Fan
Recently I bought a 94 Kona Lava dome for an absolute bargain not to be missed...after I had paid the man he went on to say I have some spare slick tyres and old wheels you can have as he was moving house.
After a little clean up and investigation I believe these to be DT swiss Titanium spokes, Bullseye hub and Ambrosio CC22 rims!...also I love the attention to detail with alternate colour nipples!!
Sadly no decal on the hub,and some corrosion.
Does anyone have any advice or tips as to bringing this hub back to life? As I'm looking to find a period correct decal once I can find out what year this one was produced.
PXL_20240407_105827508.jpg PXL_20240407_105924520.jpg PXL_20240407_105952139.jpg

Amazing.
If these were free, he must've paid you to take the kona away!

I think you should avoid dismantling the wheel to repolish the hub - you've got 20year old alloy nips in stainless eyelets on ti spokes.⚡
Best left alone. Screenshot_20240407-122750_Firefox.jpg

Might be possible to just polish up reaching through the spokes - and live with a level of patination- the stickers will improve the appearance no end

Last edited:
Gil @ Retrodecals has the Bullseye decals. See picture below of some he supplied to me. Also watch those CC22 rims as the walls wear pretty quickly. I like them but one of the few rims I've had the sidewall completely blow off on even though the braking surface didn't look very concave.

20230610_191504.jpg

Amazing.
If these were free, he must've paid you to take the kona away!

I think you should avoid dismantling the wheel to repolish the hub - you've got 20year old alloy nips in stainless eyelets on ti spokes.⚡
Best left alone.View attachment 837245

Might be possible to just polish up reaching through the spokes - and live with a level of patination- the stickers will improve the appearance no end
Hi...Yes I paid £40 for the complete 94 lava dome and the two extra Ambrosio purple rims Both with front hubs (other set is XT hub I think) and 4 x slick tyres.
The wheel is beautiful the way it is ,so definitely won't be taking it apart.
I'll do my best to clean it up as much as possible with some metal polish...other than that the rims look in fantastic condition!!
I'll be definitely contacting Gil for decals now I know what one is correct.
Many thanks for your advice...
Kind regards

Ian

Gil @ Retrodecals has the Bullseye decals. See picture below of some he supplied to me. Also watch those CC22 rims as the walls wear pretty quickly. I like them but one of the few rims I've had the sidewall completely blow off on even though the braking surface didn't look very concave.

View attachment 837230
Thank you so much for the image and information...I'll be ordering a decal very soon 👍🏼
The rims look in good shape but I certainly will be keeping an eye out for what you mentioned above.
These definitely would look great on another build...if I ever get round to finishing my current one 🤪
Many thanks

Ian

Also watch those CC22 rims as the walls wear pretty quickly. I like them but one of the few rims I've had the sidewall completely blow off on even though the braking surface didn't look very concave.
My original rear blew out after a year or so, very thin fragile rims - one of my faves!

Mine was on exage cantis iirc... was only after I swapped the rim to a 217 sunset that I adopted v's. It had done some miles though, in some very muddy conditions.

@Skeeter1 - what's the plan for the XT hubbed one?

Back