Help with sizing on 29er MTB

Titiritero

Retro Guru
Most of my bikes are the retro type, with horizontal top tube and a reasonable amount of seatpost showing. Since most of my friends have 29" bikes, I decided to give it a try by buying a used one for little money. The seller as expected did not know much about the size, just that "it would fit me". I attach a picture as it is currently set up for a comfortable fit for me.

Is this ok, or is the bike too small for me? I am just not used to so much seatpost showing off the frame, even though I know it is now a feature of modern bikes, and 29ers need a lot of sloping to allow a safe standover given the big wheels.

For more info: I am 177 cm tall (5'10"), inseam 83 cm. The bike is a 2013 Cube Aim 29, and I also include a geometry chart I found on some random Polish website, my bike would be a 17". Thanks! DSC02167.JPG

Attachments

• Cube Aim geometry.jpg
    Cube Aim geometry.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 8
I suspect 17 inch puts it in the medium territory - which should work if you are 5 10, and not otherwise oddly proportioned. I'm 5 11, with a similar inside leg and sometimes ride a medium, and also a large. A smaller bike will potentially feel more playful, a larger bike more stable.

I often run long seat posts. As long as there's plenty in the frame you should be OK.

I had similar questions when I dipped my toes into 29er territory. I found that at 6ft, not much had changed in terms of a retro bike size Vs modern. In fact it made me realise I'd been riding too small a retro frame. I stepped up my retro frame from 18 inch to 19 inch, and it was a game changer for me.

In short, if you are comfortable on a medium retro bike, the same sizing should apply in 29er guise. Sizing is always subjective, personal preference for reach and comfort are personal, but in basic terms, a medium is a medium, despite the wheel size, and geometry is adjusted to suit.

My first 29er was a medium, I really enjoyed it but eventually had to concede it was too small and I ultimately felt a bit cramped so my next one was a large and I've never looked back size wise, aside from upping my retro bike size, which I've also found an improvement.

Too small, or rather not enough stretch ( reach in modern parlance). Seatpost extension wouldn’t bother me but I think you’ll feel pretty cramped on it. I’m 175 and I would ride that small.
I’m sure you could make it work but it will never feel just right.

I look at that and say too small. i am 6'3' and heavy so prefer much less post. that looks to be a size under your needs

Thanks for the comments! I decided to do an overhaul of the bike over the weekend (I had not done it since I bought it) and I found a couple things that finally convinced me the bike might be too small for me.

First, the seatpost has barely 1cm left till the minimum insertion mark. And the saddle was pushed backwards a few mm above the recommended limit. In both cases this should not happen if the bike was my size.

So I will keep using the bike, as I don't find it uncomfortable, but in the coming days it will be back for sale on the local classifieds. Hopefully I'll get the same money I paid for it...!

Back