Beating a dead horse on sizing (1994 Stumpjumper)

soeren

Retro Newbie
So, a 1994 rigid fork Specialized Stumpjumper popped up on the local marketplace, which is one of a few old steel frames I have been looking for, for a while. But Im a little unsure about size.

Im 5'8 with a 32" inseam, and the bike is a 19", I'v read some of the threads on here, and seem to get conflicting info, some smaller guys like a bigger frame and some 6'1 guys wont go bigger than 18" and like to show some seatpost instead.
I dont mind tinkering with stems and seatposts, but I dont want to crush my nuts on accident now and then if the standover height is a little too much for me.

What are your thoughts on a 19" at my size?

It's on the big side for your height, but you have long legs for your size which might reduce the chance of a manjury. You might need a shorter stem than is normal.

Is it 19 inch c2c or c2t? I'm 6ft and until a few years ago rode 18 inch bikes (c2c) but have moved up to 19 inch c2c, 21 inch c2t generally and found the fit much better, didn't realise until I'd done so that i felt cramped on the smaller size, even with a longer stem.

I've rode 19" centre-to-top frames with no problems. I'm 5ft10 (without shoes) with a 31" inseam (without shoes).

Think about the maths. Assume the wheel + tyre is 26" exactly in diameter; that means it's 13" from the ground to the axle. Then add on 19". That comes to 32": the length of your inseam. Then you can take away the bottom bracket drop relative to the axle, which is perhaps 1.5" (I'm not sure), plus a bit for the seat tube not being vertical, and a bit more for the top of the seat tube being above the top tube, which is about 1". Perhaps add on a bit for the soles of your shoes. Altogether, that might give you about four or so inches to spare, presuming the ground is dead level. Then think very, very carefully about the size of your man parts and how much you value them. 😬

So, a 1994 rigid fork Specialized Stumpjumper popped up on the local marketplace, which is one of a few old steel frames I have been looking for, for a while. But Im a little unsure about size.

Im 5'8 with a 32" inseam, and the bike is a 19", I'v read some of the threads on here, and seem to get conflicting info, some smaller guys like a bigger frame and some 6'1 guys wont go bigger than 18" and like to show some seatpost instead.
I dont mind tinkering with stems and seatposts, but I dont want to crush my nuts on accident now and then if the standover height is a little too much for me.

What are your thoughts on a 19" at my size?

You're almost identical in dimensions to me @soeren and I won't ride anything bigger than a 17", preferring the light 'flickable' nature of a small framed bike to a big unwieldy field gate of a frame.

It's all down to personal preference, but standover height for you on a 19" will be a problem and also from an aesthetic point of view, small frames with a sloping toptube and a bit of seatpost just look 'better' 👌

Think about the maths. Assume the wheel + tyre is 26" exactly in diameter; that means it's 13" from the ground to the axle. Then add on 19". That comes to 32": the length of your inseam. Then you can take away the bottom bracket drop relative to the axle, which is perhaps 1.5" (I'm not sure), plus a bit for the seat tube not being vertical, and a bit more for the top of the seat tube being above the top tube, which is about 1". Perhaps add on a bit for the soles of your shoes. Altogether, that might give you about four or so inches to spare, presuming the ground is dead level. Then think very, very carefully about the size of your man parts and how much you value them. 😬

And give some thought to how you pedal/stand. I'm nearly six foot with about a 32inch inside leg too - but always pedal/stand on my toes/ball of foot when on a bike so a 19inch retro frame is the minimum I'd ride nowadays - often with considerable seat post showing.

Surely the standover clearance between man-parts & toptube isn't a problem, but the ability to reach the bars is more of an issue. These old specialized always strike me as having a small headtube (low stack) which puts the bars quite low in relation to the saddle. In which case a larger frame can seem more logical - as we get older.

i brought a few months ago a 1995 Rockhopper and its a 19 inch frame size.

im 6ft with a 32 inside leg and the size is fine for me.

i also have a 21 inch frame giant atx830 world cup edition that i use to commute to and from work and i have been riding that for 8 years no problem at all.

Latest posts

Back