Help with REW Reynolds.

Re:

Things that stand out are the top of the fork crown lugs, the fork ends, no badge holes and the rollers on the bottom bracket. The fork ends are what drew me to Scot but who else finished them like that?
Mercian numbered their frames similarly, Matt.

Re:

This is quite exciting. I like all this detective work.
It makes my evening go quick though.
I also have a nice old Dawes frame which I have narrowed down to a 1950's tartan five star but it's in the alternative colour/design to the only photo I can find on the net and the photo in the brochure but is listed in the brochure.

Re:

I love a bit of detective work Matt lol. On your fork crown it looks like a W. Looked up classic lightweights and Wilsons of Birmingham built with Nervex. No pictures of frames though. Interesting read will check the National cycling library and see if there's anything on them.

Simon

I'm still hoping for REW Reynolds.
Maybe the early ones were built with Nervex and numbered differently.
Problem is, they made such a small amount of frames that it's hard getting any info on them.
We will keep digging though.

Ok, so I had a bit of spare time at work this morning so removed some paint.
No stickers or sticker marks so still no proof.
It's a lovely metallic blue either from new or has had a bare metal repaint.
I did notice that the rear dropouts are brev simplex and not Campag as originally stated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 375
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 375
Re:

Looks like Flamboyant Blue, silver base with a thin coat over the top. Red oxide primer too. Flying Scot used that on their frames im sorry to say lol.
Not sure if anyone else did??? Lovely colour :)

Simon

Re:

I've been looking at the flying Scott identifying page and everything looks good apart from the seat stay tops, the fork crowns and the frame number configuration.
It's 99% the same and dates to the early 50's.
Maybe REW Reynolds cheated early on and bought other frames and rebranded them.
I wouldn't mind it being a flying Scott but I ordered the REW stickers yesterday :D

Re:

They could of used the same frame builder? Alot of guys moved around for the best pay. The large number on your frame could tell who built it if you can find out who made it? Sure someone will recognize it.
I've got a Royal Enfield firefly that someone thought was a Claud butler lugless and bought transfers for it :)

Simon

Re: Re:

COUPES":jeqmjrdm said:
I love a bit of detective work Matt lol. On your fork crown it looks like a W. Looked up classic lightweights and Wilsons of Birmingham built with Nervex. No pictures of frames though. Interesting read will check the National cycling library and see if there's anything on them.

Simon

I don't think Wislons actually built their frames. A lot of them were supplied by Major Nicholls.

Back