Help removing stubbourn Hope BB....

mikesnowdon

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all.

Took my frame to Halfords today to have the Hope BB removed so I can get the frame re-sprayed. They used a normal type pin spanner on it but the pins just broke and it gouged up the cups :cry:

I remember when I installed it I did use some threadlock. This was about 6 months ago.

Any tips on how I get this out without further damaging the cups. I want to re-use it.

You're going to need to dissolve the threadlock. I'd try soaking with nail polish remover, then follow with a soak with penetrating oil.

broke the pins on the spanner ??? :shock:

they were undoing it the correct direction?

presumably you wnat to save the frame.

sounds like these are well stuck - worth trying to disolvbe the loctite but I have doubts.

can you apply some heat - you can get quite hot ~ 200 C before you need to worry about the paint or brazing.

the cups are hardened steen so in theory can be smashed by a cold chisel but you need to be brave.

Tthe safest way would be to use a dremel cutting disc and cut one or two slots in the BB, as deep as ou can get betore you hit the threads then try the cold chisel to snap the cup.

Sounds drastic.

Damaged the pins means that they probably used a standard 2-pin adjustable. You'd also be able to see if they tried doing it the wrong way.

However, even the larger pins on the Green Park wrench might be struggling against Loctite. Which strength did you use?

There is another workaround, which will require a mate and another Green Park wrench, which will mean contact at 4 points instead of 2. Can't guarantee it will work but would be better than ruining the cups (unless the damage is so bad that they already are ruined).

Maybe I could use 2 park spanners and some sort of sleeve which can slide over the axle and be held down by a crank bolt to stop the spanners popping out. That way I should be able to apply plenty of force without wrecking the cups.

PS: I want to re-use both frame and BB. The need to remove the BB is so I can get the frame re-sprayed. I also want to polish up the BB cups and send them away for re-anodizing to tie in with the other components on the build.

I used a park two prong tool on mine (with a g clamp across the BB to keep the tool on the Cup), and then stand on it... it undid my one that had been in for 8 years without being touched.

I had the same problem with my hope BB in a ti frame.
LBS could not remove it and Hope no longer make the tool for extracting it.
Good luck with it mate. I`d be interested to see the solution

You need one of these >
sdc11696_w800_h600_162.jpg

Back