Help me build world lightest MTB

Not without lots of cash/ and one off parts it won’t be near that.

Frame/fork needs to be 1100g to 1200g max to achieve that weight.

6-7 Kg bikes are easy to build but spend 5 mins of weight weenies and look what is involved in a sub 5kg build.

Dangerholm is my favourite personally as he’s done some nice builds.

IMO the deciding factor is the frame. If goodyes decides on a 1998 or later frame, this topic will move to that section.

Seeing as the topic is merely about planning and researching and not actually showing a bike, or a build in progress, for now I'm moving it from Reader's MTBs to Retro MTB Chat.
It is but this sort of thing was exactly what General Chat was designed for :-D None specific stuff.
I can post all the pre 1997 stuff he/she wants, but you are not going to get the lightest bike out of it.

6-7 Kg bikes are easy to build but spend 5 mins of weight weenies and look what is involved in a sub 5kg build.

agreed - nowhere near 5kg without serious cash or skills - my roadie is 6.2kg and im 85kg - i wouldn't want to ride anything that light off road!!

Looks good, but with a carbon fiber frame, it will be look better a carbon fiber fork

.....and it needs to look good too? And made of composite epoxy and soot? Doesn't sound that interesting TBH.

Often thought that a real good project would be to take a retro Ti MTB frame (which can often be lighter than retro road due to
early compact designs) and shod it out with insane whittled down to nothing 60s / 70s drillium road parts. Skinny stupid light 26" tubulars
and stuff like this https://www.disraeligears.co.uk/site/huret_jubilee_derailleur_2248.html

100% retro. 100% hand-made. 100% metal. No groupsets. No indexing, say 5 speed. Shit brakes are a given,
no dust seals or dust caps, gear cables used for brake cables etc. etc. etc. 26" is probably the single requirement to make it a MTB.

100% white knuckle off-road on a chosen day when the stars are aligned because it would be built with a wing and prayer
one man in a shed logic (like someone said a tip-toe on the really rough stuff).

On a hard pack fire road it should be alright and probably put some modern gravel bikes to shame.

I will start at arounf 1.500 for frame and fork

Are you building a Retrobike or a 'modern' bike
i.e area you looking for a 1997 and older frame ?
I will use some retroparts, previous to 1997, so before 97, like the wheels and some other partsm, not all, not decided the rest of parts. I know for sure some parts will be pre 95

without the money to buy the best or the skills to build it yourself..You will never get close to the current records.
Life is not all money, not all things can be bought, but many others can be done, with not as much if you provide the resources or people involved

It is but this sort of thing was exactly what General Chat was designed for :-D None specific stuff.
I can post all the pre 1997 stuff he/she wants, but you are not going to get the lightest bike out of it.
"I can post all the pre 1997 stuff he/she wants, but you are not going to get the lightest bike out of it."

I get this phrase, that motivate me.. a lot

Back