New boy on the scene 97 rockhopper

Singhsan

Dirt Disciple
Hi folks,

Been lurking for a while, and been looking out for a retro bike.

Well today I pulled the trigger and got a specialized rockhopper.

I must confess I know nothing about it, but when I was younger I always lusted after getting one of these but could never afford it.

I've been told it's a 1997, aluminium and rear rack has the specialized logo on it, Richey scx 26 inch wheels (according to the stickers) and integrated brake lever/gear levers marked up as Shimano deore.

So here she is
IMG-20230117-WA0003.jpeg
This is the only picture I have to hand right now. I will put up some more if anyone's interested.

The plan is watch a lot of YouTube videos, watch them again and then start to clean the dirty bits, grease moving but and just give it a general tidy up. Then just get on it and ride it for local trips (shops, cafés, and the occasional a single track weather permitting).

As I said, I'm new to all of this, so if anyone has any advice, comments, or ideas please share them.

Thanks for dropping by

Singhsan

Welcome.

Good starter bike for a hobby that can become expensive unless you have good self-control.

I'd have a closer look at where your rear rack is mounted into the seat stays. I'm no expert on Rockhoppers, but with the paint flaking in the way that it has I think the stays may have been drilled to fix the rack on. If you get chance, can you post a couple of close up photos?

We need to make sure that it's supposed to be mounted that way, or your safety might be compromised if the stays are cracking, and a big hole that shouldn't be there.

Screenshot_20230117_182203_Firefox.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome.

Good starter bike for a hobby that can become expensive unless you have good self-control.

I'd have a closer look at where your rear rack is mounted into the seat stays. I'm no expert on Rockhoppers, but with the paint flaking in the way that it has I think the stays may have been drilled to fix the rack on. If you get chance, can you post a couple of close up photos?

We need to make sure that it's supposed to be mounted that way, or your safety might be compromised if the stays are cracking, and a big hole that shouldn't be there.

View attachment 696739

Hi Markybeau,

Self control! What's that? 🤣

Good catch on the rack mounting point, now that you point it out it looks so obvious, I'm away for a couple of days, but when I get back home I'll post up some closer detailed pictures.

Thanks again

I'm pretty sure they had rack lugs, see this alloy one below. Nothing wrong with that. IIRC the 97 was steel, it's a 1999 I think.

Thanks everyone for sharing your advice and information, much appreciated.

I haven't been home yet, so pictures to follow however, just looking around on the web found this http://stolenbristolbikes.blogspot.com/2012/10/jons-specialized-rockhopper-and-dawes.html?m=1

Got me worried initially then noticed it was posted in 2012, and that bike has been upgraded so not the same bike as mine.

The thing I noticed though was the rear top triangle tube (sorry not sure of the name) had the same lugs as mine. So I think I'm safe. But I'll have a proper look and get some pictures up to be safe.

While I'm here, I've been reading about jagwire cables, seems like that's way to go. But I am confused, there are so many different ranges of both brake and gear cables.

Has anyone got any experience with them, any recommendations which I should go for? Or any alternatives.

Thanks again

EDIT: just found this on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15535781...mEV-_UIQXO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Does appear to be the 1997 Bright Blue option of this:

View attachment 697087

View attachment 697088

Thanks, that looks promising, but to confuse matters a bit I found http://www.mountainbikecatalogue.com/specialized/1990-1999/1997/rockhopper-a1.html

This looks identical to mine save for the rear rack lugs, but the if the colour is anything to go by, bright blue, I think you're on the money with the above.

Thanks

Singhsan

Hm. Says "Direct Drive" on the chainstay. I have a rusty old late-90s rockhopper in the back yard; from what I've been able to gather, "DD" was their brand of chromoly. Forks and frames were cromo, stays were hi-ten

Kind of a tank but seems like it would be a great city bike and an even better art bike. Mine was too badly rusted to do anything with. Too bad, it coulda been a fun project.

Ritchey rims? Hm. Gotta go take another look at that bike lol

Back