Help identifying old Claud Butler

Brass will have an electrolytic action when touching aluminium leading to corrosion. Those steel washers were for Westwood steel rims and will go rusty. Better to find some aluminium washers.

Constrictor originally had spoke nipples described as "Cadmium plated", which is now considered poisonous, but they might have been zinc coated.

The rims were very strong but the wired ons always had a problem with the inner tubes splitting as they expanded down into the deep well of the rim.

These are the sort of problems we had in the 50 /60s, and why most of us club racers used tubulars.

Keith

Re:

I have just rough cleaned the front rim and found lightly engraved on the spoke face ASP 26.
The rim measures 1" in width, but the weight is nearer that of a standard no 4 at 17 oz, than the quoted ASP weight of 15 oz,
A couple of images attached.
I am also a little concerned at the corrosion evident on the spoke face, slightly accentuated in the pictures
If I attempt to clean this off, with an appropriate grade wet and dry, etc, will I be exposing small pockets or voids, rather like paint blisters, so best left alons
Colin

Attachments

• P1010466.JPG
    P1010466.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 160
  • P1010467.JPG
    P1010467.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 160
Back