Help identifying Hary Hall frame Ted Pritchard

Great to see this older thread still being added to with great info.
Minidave, welcome aboard and thanks for adding to this.
I for one would definitely like to here more about your time there. It may have been a long time ago but that's what makes it so interesting.
Thanks for the input.

Jamie

Hi - I'm new to Retrobike, having joined as I'm researching my 25.5 inch Ted Pritchard frame (No 4966) - It possibly has Nervex lugs and Campag dropouts and a Magistroni headset. I acquired it back in 1963/64/65 from a clubmate who had owned it for a few years so I guess it was built in late 1950s/1906/1961(latest). There is some doubt that TP actually built his own frames but bought them from Holdsworth and branded them with his own marque. Does anyone have any clues?
It has suffered at the back of my shed and Mr Rust has had a go at it, so am looking to restore it but does anyone have any decals?
Any help/advice/info will be much appreciated.

Re: Re:

Hi Twiddler 2
Here is a quote from minidave back on the previous page, might help you out ;)

Jamie

minidave":xno2i7m3 said:
I would like to give some more information about Ted Pritchard and his bikes.
I worked with Ted until his untimely death,when he fell or was knocked off his bike.I then carried on running the shop with help from his wife until the lease ran out ,which also co-incided with her retirement. The frames were made by Holdsworth and then Ted Pritchard stickers attached. These were top quality frames. The shop sold mainly second hand bikes for everyday use and hand built racing bikes and top end parts.usually on a Saturday the shop was full of charlotteville members who came for their Tea and cakes and occasionally bought something!. Miss those times. If anyone wants any more information,let me know, but remember, it was all a long time ago.
Dave.

Re:

Thanks Jamie. I had heard that TP bought ready-mades from Holdsworth but the date of my frame doesn't tally with their numbering sequence. The lugs on the frame aren't the same as any I've seen on vintage Holdsworths although they were using Nervex in the late 1950s. But if they are Nervex then its a design I've not come across! A mystery!! TP may of course have used other frame builders - we shall probably never know. However it won't stop me from the restoration project and whoever did make it, it's still a Ted Pritchard to me.
Fond memories as a teenager 50+years ago of riding it on a fixed wheel up and down long 12% hills (1 in 8 in old money) to the weekly club meets. Grandad gears for me now!

Back in the mid 60s I remember Ted telling me that his frames were produced by other builders, but that he had built his frames in the early days. He was knowledgable about frame building, and advised me on several points when I was myself building a frame in 1966. I had bought the 531 tubeset and lugs, etc from Ted.

Thankk you. Very interesting. He was a likeable guy by all accounts. I passed the shop a couple of times in the early 60s on the way to Cyclo-cross events on Chobham Common but never went inside (probably because events were held on a Sunday?).
My No 4966 frame has what look like Nervex seat lug, BB and fork crown but the head lugs are not a pattern I have found in the Nervex catalogue archives. If I can identify them it might give me a further clue to the likely maker.
Your reply is intriguing as there is now a possibility it could even have been built by the man himself!
The project has made a gentle start - forks off (stamped 4966 as expected) and a light rubbing down of the rustier bits so far......

Oh yes, the cyclo-cross events on Chobham Common! The Farnborough Cycling Club Sunday club runs sometimes used to stop off at Chobham Common when a cyclo-cross event was taking place, and then continue the run when the cyclo-cross events finished. I particularly remember a trike cyclo-cross held after Christmas one year, when the ground was frozen solid and like an ice rink. Watching the trikes handle the frozen corners was interesting!!

Hard enough on 2 wheels - tricyclists are gluttons for punishment!
I knew a couple of Farnborough CC members - always some friendly rivalry when we congregated in Rumbles cycle shop in North Camp on a Saturday. Great days.

Back