Help identifying Hary Hall frame Ted Pritchard

Ted's was a small shop ( iirc) and Chobham , in those days, was also very small !
I can remember the shop - I moved into the area about 1967/68 era.
There were a number of cyclists in the area who rode around on 'Ted Pritchard' frames.
I think the shop may have been a local Charlotteville CC hang out, I knew a number of Charlotteville riders about that time who used the shop.

I've just acquired a Ted Pritchard frame off Ebay pending delivery and found this post about T.P and his shop. The frame is in a reasonable condition but lacking the transfers from the seat and head tube. The attractive down tube script appears to be intact - on the offside at least. Does anyone have a Pritchard frame with undamaged transfers that perhaps I could have a photo of please? If anyone is interested I'll try and upload the image from the Ebay listing.
Thanks
Shaun

Re: Ted Pritchard

Hi.
I had similar problem and spent many hours without success trying to locate decals. The head and seat tubes had a small decal about 30mm wide resembling a square shield with the name Ted Pritchard in block capitals diagonally across it. The background was white and the diagonal name stripe was red with white lettering. These were unobtainable and a bespoke replica would have been far too expensive. I have tried to upload an image but so far technology is defeating me.

On the down tube the name Ted Pritchard was in script. I could not find an exact match but settled for a set bought online from http://www.vinyllettering.co.uk for just a few pounds. This is probably the closest you will find without going to vast expense.When you order you should select "Monotype Corsiva" font and reduce size to 25x177. A visual impression is shown on the ordering template so you can see how it looks before you buy. True originals were white with black detailing, but I opted for a different colour for bold effect - after all it was never going to be a faithful restoration project, especially with mainly new accessories fitted. It was more to honour and remember the name and brand.

I was more successful with the Reynolds DB 531 decal - an exact match is possible here. There are many styles available from H. Lloyd cycles who may be able to help with bespoke decals.

All the best

Re:

Hi

On reflection the white bits on the small decals may originally have been gold but I can't be entirely sure. I have tried to attach a photo but don't know if it will work! Let me know.

Attachments

• 20171006_125420.jpg
    20171006_125420.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 533
Thanks for that, the image is just about visible - quite a squeeze getting 'Ted Pritchard' in? Are there any traces of smaller lettering below the red band? I've just had a look online and sheets of white waterslide transfer paper are readily available, I wondering how easy or otherwise it would be to knock something up on a pc.

Shaun

Re:

From memory it read Chobham Surrey in the bottom RH corner. Less reliably memory-wise it could have had "Hand Built By" or similar in top left, but I can't swear to it. The original is now sanded off and under several layers of primer so I can no longer check for you.

If you haven't done it already, go back to the post by "yourebarred" dated 14th April 2013 which may not help you with the shield decal, but has a good illustration of the downtube script. There is a picture on the post dated 18th July 2015 showing what appears to be a large embossed alloy shield with initials TP. I don't recall ever seeing one like this so it may not be entirely authentic. If it is it would be a very early frame it came from. My solution was when ordering the decals mentioned in my previous reply, I added capital T and P after the script which can be cut off and used in a similar way to the renovation by "yourebarred" - a bit cheaper that way!

I must add you are brave to attempt making your own decal - I lack the artistic skills so ready-mades had to do. They are remarkably close to the original especially if you doctor them slightly by removing the curly bits from the Ds and the H.

Good luck - and if you trace some originals please let me know. I'd be interested to hear how you get on

I'm on the 'case' making a few enquiries with friends who are more clued up on computer paint boxes / graphics etc but it seems that the main thing is getting a decent image one way or another to scan then print out on transfer or decal sheet. The previous post regards the brass head badge doesn't really help but the details and picture of the worn transfer and likely lettering etc does. Steve Ford at Lloyds Decals tells me he only has the down tube transfers for Ted Pritchard but not the others.
Currently I'm waiting for the frame to be delivered but will post further details here re transfers.
Shaun

Hopefully the attached picture will show up.

Based on the fragment of transfer shown I've drawn up an illustration of my take on the head tube badge using inks and pencil. Basically the edges can be tidied up during the pc scanning with the lettering produced in red. I've left the background as white. Personally I would prefer the finished transfer to be a little bit bigger than the original 30 mm width. I've got some water slide white background inkjet paper on order and will then see what my chum can achieve. He reckons it's doable.

Shaun

Attachments

• P1030606.JPG
    P1030606.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 502
Re:

That's impressive and pretty close to the original as I remember it. As I said earlier, I cannot vouch for the actual wording in the top left (if indeed there was any) but it's not out of place. I agree that the original size looks lost on the head tube (particularly as mine is a 25" frame!) - there was one on the seat tube too - but that was how they were!

I hope it works OK.

Hopefully I've been able to upload some pictures of my frame. The previous owner had managed to remove a lot of the scruffy dark blue paint that revealed the lighter shade complete with some different looking vinyl down tube transfers. There is an interesting 'W. Pollard & Co' transfer at the top of the seat tube and I'm wondering if this has anything to do with W & E Pollards of Coventry. Otherwise the frame has the same features as the one previously shown on this thread with the position of the frame number - 2694 and the rear stays.

Shaun

Back