IMG_2236.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 767
  • IMG_2235.JPG
    IMG_2235.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 767
  • IMG_2234.JPG
    IMG_2234.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 767
It is great to see a Ted Pritchard on the road again. I like the subtle colour scheme – the saddle and bar tape go well with the frame. I think it is a very sympathetic rebuild.

Is the rear mech a Shimano 500? I bought one in the mid-70s for my Condor to replace a Campag Gran Sport, and the performance of the Shimano mech was a revelation – so much smoother and precise (admittedly the Gran Sport was slightly worn). I still have one up in my loft to be used on my Harrison rebuild.

I should think the Ted Pritchard is a joy to ride.

Hi
amazing luck that I've stumbled on this thread. At risk of hijacking the thread,
I've just been up the shed to try and identify the frame I recently purchased.
A very faint transfer reads "Ted Pritchard" Lightweight and Chobham is also discernible. The frame number stamped below the bottom bracket is 873.
I have bought my dads bikes off him as he was going to sell them off cheap and I couldn't bare them not be in the family as they were such a part of our lives growing up.
There is a Hetchins, a Carpenter, an Allin, a Hobbs of Barbican Tandem plus another that has no markings at all.
My Dad is a life long member of Charlotteville CC, Terry Dennis.
My plan is to get the bikes up and running.
Does anyone know if there is a register of Pritchard frame numbers so I can date it please?
Any help gratefully received
Nigel

47 Ronin":12k08w5e said:
There is a Hetchins, a Carpenter, an Allin, a Hobbs of Barbican Tandem plus another that has no markings at all.
What a haul! And he took them all to Virginia?!

47 Ronin":12k08w5e said:
Does anyone know if there is a register of Pritchard frame numbers so I can date it please?
Not as far as I can tell but good luck with the build

yourebarred, that Ted Pritchard looks great, a proper usable and, used machine.
I do like the colour very much.

Jamie

A friend of mine in Woking had a Ted Pritchard bike in the same colour around 1968 so perhaps it was a stock colour back then. It looks lovely now, have you ridden it over to Chobham to Ted's old shop?

Hi 47 Ronin, I was a member of the Charlotteville Club in the early 70's but unfortunately I don't remember your Dad. It was the heyday of Derek Cottington and other people I remember were the Kingston, Robinson and Armstrong families, Pete Curtis, Dave(?) Charman, the Purser brothers (I know Martin still rides trikes), Bill Stickley and George Hunton. I can still remember the old 10 and 25 courses around Pirbright and that horrible hill in Worplesdon.

Re:

I would like to give some more information about Ted Pritchard and his bikes.
I worked with Ted until his untimely death,when he fell or was knocked off his bike.I then carried on running the shop with help from his wife until the lease ran out ,which also co-incided with her retirement. The frames were made by Holdsworth and then Ted Pritchard stickers attached. These were top quality frames. The shop sold mainly second hand bikes for everyday use and hand built racing bikes and top end parts.usually on a Saturday the shop was full of charlotteville members who came for their Tea and cakes and occasionally bought something!. Miss those times. If anyone wants any more information,let me know, but remember, it was all a long time ago.
Dave.

It is very interesting to hear that you worked at Ted Pritchard’s, and to hear a bit more about Ted and the shop. We probably met when I rode over to the shop from Farnborough, from the mid-60s until the closure of the shop. I really enjoyed the ride over to Chobham, and always had a friendly welcome at the shop.

Back