HELP! Broken Mech Hanger on GT Xizang.

The frame's worth at least £500 so it's not difficult to justify spending the money on repair. Needs to be welded perfectly square, there's no tweaking it a bit afterwards with Ti, I'd be heading to a Ti frame builder.

Re:

this is the risk you run when you ride an old bike, but (shame it may be) its probably time to retire this frame :(
the lesson is, unfortunately... don't spend £500 on a 20 year old frame

sean

Re: Re:

SEANSTEPHENS":2652zg0e said:
this is the risk you run when you ride an old bike, but (shame it may be) its probably time to retire this frame :(

sean

better flog that lot in your signature then

SEANSTEPHENS":2ko7vqek said:

sean

Not feeling the retro love? It was a bit of an odd decision not to have a replaceable dropout on their flagship model, even more so that it was always going to be very hard to repair. I still say that frame will live again!

legrandefromage":1jdhhdtk said:
better flog that lot in your signature then
i only own 1 bike and it has a replacable hanger, so nothing to worry about there ;)

gtRTSdh":1jdhhdtk said:
Not feeling the retro love? It was a bit of an odd decision not to have a replaceable dropout on their flagship model, even more so that it was always going to be very hard to repair. Is till say that frame will live again!

I just see it as it is... a lot of modern ti frames still have built in hangers too which does seem daft when a single knock to the rear mech while on a ride could mean its game over for that frame

Re:

This would make a nice wall piece, and titanium as a material still retains its value, so not all is lost. You could still singlespeed it or even sell it, but i would also say that a repair is unlikely

justablur":1ljp0gc8 said:
Looks like I've sorted out someone to repair it. I'll try to post some pictures when it's done.
nice one, didnt think this one could be brought back to life but you never know :)

Back