GT Xizang vs Lightning - Differences

d8mok

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Whilst I’ve got two spare frames I thought I’d put up a small thread on the differences between the two.

I’ve seen many Lightning passed off as a Xizang over the years so maybe in the future this might help someone ID what they have.

Lightnings are often seen as the poor brother to the Xizang but are in fact rarer due to them only being produced 97/98. However they aren’t quite as nicely finished as a Xizang that is true.

So I’ll compare a 97 Xizang and a 98 Lightning. (Lightnings were the same 97/98 both in 18 inch

IMG_5453.jpeg

Weight - The Lightning is 1700g. The pictured Xizang is 1570g but is missing its brake studs and decals. I did weigh my other 97 Xizang before building it last year and that was 1620g inc bosses and decals. So the Xizang is slightly lighter.
IMG_5454.jpeg IMG_5455.jpeg

End caps - The Xizang has just the GT logo , as the Lightning has the Ti grade too. Personally I like both but I guess the Lightning is slightly cooler.

IMG_5456.jpeg

Brake bosses - Xizang has the small disc which is held in place by the boss. The lighting is a normal style.

IMG_5457.jpeg

Canti mount loop thingy - Xizang has the bracket to use a canti. Lightning doesn’t.

IMG_5458.jpeg

Dropouts look identical.

IMG_5459.jpeg

Cable stops are in a different position on top tube

IMG_5460.jpeg

Headtube - Lightning is butted.

IMG_5466.jpeg IMG_5468.jpeg

Lightning has shaped stays on the inner and outer. As the Xizang is normal.

Last edited:
That is interesting, being a lightning owner I've wondered how different they really are compared to the xizang.

One difference I could see in the pics which may just be a trick of angles is that the seat tube above the top tube on the lightning seems longer than the xizang. Is this the case or am I seeing things?

Yes the seattube is slightly longer but the pics make it look more so.

The end cap extension is also longer too.

The biggest difference being the Xizang was made in the USA and Lightnings were built in the far east hence the bigger costs.

I didn’t state that purely as I assumed everyone already knew it. Along with the polished vs bead blasted finish.

Back