Xizang - why the name?

sminchnz

Dirt Disciple
I recently picked up a 98 GT Xizang and for the first time started wondering about the name, and as far as I can tell it’s the Chinese name for Tibet, which the Chinese government at least calls the Xizang Autonomous Region (see https://bitterwinter.org/xizang-chinas-efforts-to-change-tibets-name/).

I guess it’s probably just looking back 30-odd years after times have changed and wondering why you’d ever choose that as a name, but why on earth would GT choose that as a name? Does anyone know the backstory? Is it just an exotic sounding name picked off a map?

Yeah seems odd to celebrate the "peaceful liberation" of what is now ranked as the least free nation on the planet. I'm curious about the thinking behind the decision as well.

Back in 1990 prior to the launch of the first Xizang the development director at GT was trying to pick names for the upcoming models and wanted a name for the Xizang which sounded exotic and also incorporated the fact it was designed to be a fast bike. When researching different possibilities Gary Turner himself walked by and said he had recently been on holiday to the East and there was a country that was well known for its mountains and climbs. Now unfortunately this countries name was already taken by another brand but it started them thinking of heading over that way for inspiration. So 2 weeks later both of them set off East for a destination unknown , firstly staying in China where they heard of the region called Xizang or Tibet. Cool sounding name they thought but needed to investigate , so off they went to Tibet in search of mountains worthy of their Titanium frame. Once there they realised that I’ve completely made this whole story up and I bet your still reading it.

Just a guess but it was probably to show solidarity with Tibet following the Tiananmen Square Massacre in1989. I know we are all supposed to pretend that the CCP doesn't commit human rights atrocities against Tibetans and Uyghurs but it wasn't always that way. At one time good people stood up against evil governments.

Just a guess but it was probably to show solidarity with Tibet following the Tiananmen Square Massacre in1989. I know we are all supposed to pretend that the CCP doesn't commit human rights atrocities against Tibetans and Uyghurs but it wasn't always that way. At one time good people stood up against evil governments.
Would be a bit odd solidarity to call Tibet with its Chinese name... GT Tibet would have been the way to go.

Back