Xizang - why the name?

Just a guess but it was probably to show solidarity with Tibet following the Tiananmen Square Massacre in1989. I know we are all supposed to pretend that the CCP doesn't commit human rights atrocities against Tibetans and Uyghurs but it wasn't always that way. At one time good people stood up against evil governments.
How did we get from a model name they chose because it was real cool man and the fact that it had a mountainous connotation to it, unto massacres and standing up against the evil governments. I love this place.

Next topic ideas:

Were 'Fat Chance' the early formation of the current fat pride and body positivity movement?

Did Joe Murray spend too long in West Africa? Do I need a priest to buy a Voodoo bicycle?

Should Soct Nicol have been institutionalised with sex addiction?

From GT's 1989 catalogue: 'In ancient tongues, Xizang was the name of the mysterious mountain region known today as Tibet. Regarded as the top of the world, its majesty was the inspiration for our finest competition model, the Xizang.' In other words, it was a bike to be associated with mystery, majesty and the top of the world.

I found that in a dark backwater of the internet, called 'Retrobike': https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/gt-xizang-1989-fillet-brazed-steel.333541/ (second image down).

From GT's 1989 catalogue: 'In ancient tongues, Xizang was the name of the mysterious mountain region known today as Tibet. Regarded as the top of the world, its majesty was the inspiration for our finest competition model, the Xizang.' In other words, it was a bike to be associated with mystery, majesty and the top of the world.

I found that in a dark backwater of the internet, called 'Retrobike': https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/gt-xizang-1989-fillet-brazed-steel.333541/ (second image down).
I daren't venture there. Thank you for delving into the bowels of depravity that is Retrobike, so we don't have to. 🥰

Yeah, as noted, Xizang is the region in tibet that holds the Zaskar, or nowdays called Zanskar mountain range that Everest and K2 are located in, and Karakorum is the name of the Pass road that runs through them/it.
We have already had a whole thread on this, the challenge if you accept it...see if you can find it.

I loaned a friends xizang winter/spring of 98/99. i never knew if i was pronouncing it correctly either...

Yeah, as noted, Xizang is the region in tibet that holds the Zaskar, or nowdays called Zanskar mountain range that Everest and K2 are located in, and Karakorum is the name of the Pass road that runs through them/it.
We have already had a whole thread on this, the challenge if you accept it...see if you can find it.
The world is waiting. (No, I couldn't find the thread.)

Latest posts

Back