Hi and First Classic Roadbike - Claud Butler ‘ 853 ‘ (?)

tarehy

Retro Newbie
I’ve been ruminating over a classic for the best part of two years now and not the bullet tonight .I have an old Liberty Seguros era BH aluminium frame with carbon fork and low end Campag stuff ( but runs nice in Conti GP4000s )
I may only go out once in a year or two but have increased my spin frequency to almost monthly in recent times .As I get older walking suits me more than running for sure .And I wouldn’t say I’m the only one here who may actually prefer tinkering to cycling !
Anyway I reckon I have picked up a fab classic .The frame is a Claud Butler in blue and white and it’s badged as 853 .I’ve read the threads about them but would love any more info .
My main concern is that the headset seems very low and there’s no space between lock ring and top headset cup .Is it likely someone cut it too low ? Could I have issues fitting another headset ? It’s on tight and doesn’t rattle / shudder although I’m not sure WHY as it seems to be defying traditional logic .
Any advice about where to go with this build ?Mechs and calipers are almost brand new Sora .Wheelset Giant SR2 .Both these prob easy enough to sell
On to fund nice parts Is that stem as dodgy as it may appear ?
Anyway hi everyone and live to hear back IMG_6790.jpeg IMG_6801.jpeg IMG_6796.jpeg

(Falcon) Claud Butler Professional in 853 Reynolds.
Circa 1997-98.
Loverly frame, would be even better with higher end kit.
Yes head set needs a washer/spacer.

IMG_0393.jpeg

Thanks Peachy your previous posts were helpful prepurchase .Does it not look like the stem has been cut a bit low ?By the way bike comes with clean set of Dura Ace 7400 SIS frame gear shifters but I guess it would be more 'authentic' with 7800 STI

Sorry, I have absolutely no idea what you mean about the stem being cut

Sorry, I have absolutely no idea what you mean about the stem being cut
I think he means that the fork steerer tube may have been cut too low. However, from my albeit quick look, I don't think it has? It does need a headset washer though.

Nice bike - enjoy it.

Shorter quill stem fitted , more in keeping with my advancing years .Schwalbe Marathons replaced with my old Conti GPs ( almost one kg saving there !!!) Those 38cm Nitto B123s felt very fast on my two spins on this bike-much as I wanted to hate them
…surprisingly they’re over twice the weight of most normal bars .Might flog ‘em but then again ….I might even get a quill / ahead Adaptor and put in my black 44s and short black ahead stem….Bartape will have to wait !

Latest posts

Back