Heads up if buying from r2-bike.com in Germany

My invoice is just the price of the parts, plus the DHL shipping cost, under VAT is says 0.00EUR

Also had to pay by IBAN international bank transfer.

I saw this in their FAQ after realizing I was paying import duty and looked it up.

Ive just had a look at my emails from them and I was sent a bunch of PDF's outlining a bunch of legal terms and details on policy etc. I didnt read it at the time but after a quick look though I still cant see any warning that extra charges apply. Would have been nice to have known before I paid.
I do understand your frustration, don't get me wrong. I just assumed that was like a given, as I've not really found any European sites that handle the customs on their end, much to the dismay of friends I have outside the EU. When I order stuff from America, the customs/import stuff is always dealt with by the Danish postal services. I know some companies have deals with DHL/UPS to deal with all of that straight away. Giving you full transparency. When I've bought from Bluelug everything was paid to them and then to DHL, and it meant that my parcel went straight to the house and didn't have to go through any import/customs processing. Only other system like that I know of is the Global Shipping Programme which works pretty amazing if ordering from America or UK to EU.

I always check the Terms of Service and stuff before I order from a place because I've had a few problems with shops masquerading as EU based when they're not

Personally and with work i order bike parts from the EU all the time. Charges seem to be a lottery, as do shipping times, with some countries very much slower and more expensive than others. Seems like a green light for shipping and handling companies to charge what they like, with very little transparency and almost no recourse if you actually want to get what you ordered.
I didn't and wouldn't ever have voted for it. What a sh*tshow.

There's no vat on invoice as it's not their responsibility, its usually as customer when it reaches UK. Same both ways, you'll see cotic and everyone sell with no vat to Europe and you lay the rate applicable your end.

Sorry it was a surprise to you, hopefully doesn't work out too bad.

Surely it’s you as the buyer who holds the accountability to research what charges are due when importing goods into the country

The company you are buying from likely have in the their T&C stating as such.

Bought a cassette from them last year after a STW thread said they had some at a good price. People on the thread mentioned the £135 limit so if buying a couple of things make sure you bought them separately. Got a free bike bottle with it too!

F*** Brexit.

Photo 11-11-2023, 19 58 47.jpg

Latest posts

Back