Heads up if buying from r2-bike.com in Germany

Mikey08

Kona Fan
Im waiting on a couple of parts to arrive from r2-bike.com which were shipped by DHL in Germany. Tracking details say the package is here in the UK and has been handed to Royal Mail. Royal Mail tracking info says Ive been sent a letter detailing what I need to pay in import tax etc.

Im not happy this wasnt made clear to me at the time of purchase.

Aparrently there is a limit of £135 and anything over that is subject to import duty and such.

Ill update this thread once ive received the letter.

Last edited:
I bought a watch from the states and also got a tax bill which was a bit unexpected.

I ignored several letters until one came from a debt collection agency......

Mike
I can sense your more than a bit miffed about import duty however it’s a UK tax and if you voted for brexit then your paying for the consequences of leaving the single market - if you didn’t vote for brexit it’s going too sting !

And to add insult to injury theres an admin fee on top to pay

Im mostly annoyed that I was unaware of this and no attempt was made to inform me at the time of purchase. Ive bought stuff from abroad before where all charges were included. But r2-bike just take your money and let you deal with it

I won’t ask if they deducted the German sales tax first……

I bought summat from Holland and they simply could not be bothered about deducting their version of vat - so I paid theirs, ours, duty and admin fee.
Still ended up significantly cheaper than buying it here

I assumed that was to be expected, long gone are the days of Brits just ordering from here with no extra fees.

They do make it clear that they don't handle any of it in regards to non-EU customs and that it depends on the individual country, from their shipping ToS:

Are there any customs duties, taxes or fees for deliveries outside the EU?

German VAT to the amount of 7% or 19% will not be charged for deliveries in non-European countries, . There will, however, be general customs, charges and taxes for handling in the country of delivery. These costs vary considerably depending on the country of delivery. Please familiarise yourself with the regulations of your local customs authority.

I won’t ask if they deducted the German sales tax first……

I bought summat from Holland and they simply could not be bothered about deducting their version of vat - so I paid theirs, ours, duty and admin fee.
Still ended up significantly cheaper than buying it here

Just had a look at the invoice and no they havent.

That mad you paid their tax on top! Glad it still worked out cheaper. In my case I had no choice but to order from Germany as certain boutique German brands arrent available here which is a shame.

Sorry corrected to say customs, they do deduct the VAT, or at least they should. If not you'll have to get in touch with them

I assumed that was to be expected, long gone are the days of Brits just ordering from here with no extra fees.

They do make it clear that they don't handle any of it in regards to non-EU VAT and that it depends on the individual country, from their shipping ToS:

Are there any customs duties, taxes or fees for deliveries outside the EU?

German VAT to the amount of 7% or 19% will not be charged for deliveries in non-European countries, . There will, however, be general customs, charges and taxes for handling in the country of delivery. These costs vary considerably depending on the country of delivery. Please familiarise yourself with the regulations of your local customs authority.

I saw this in their FAQ after realizing I was paying import duty and looked it up.

Ive just had a look at my emails from them and I was sent a bunch of PDF's outlining a bunch of legal terms and details on policy etc. I didnt read it at the time but after a quick look though I still cant see any warning that extra charges apply. Would have been nice to have known before I paid.

Back