Buying on retrobike...your personal rules?

I always make sure the seller has a feedback thread unless a very low value item. I also check they are a recent poster, to rule out old credentials leaked in a hack elsewhere, where the password was the same as here.

I try to always let the seller know when received and leave feedback, although on a couple of occasions, ive been mildly miffed by less than great service, and havent posted about it, not serious enough to warrant a complaint, but just a lack of communication usually.

When selling I keep the buyer updated as much as possible, noone likes the uncertainty in a purchase.
yes, keep the buyer updated. I always say when my item is packed, when im going to drop it off, and when ive dropped it off.

I've bought and sold many items on here, and happy to say I have only had one bad experience with a member...Although after a few searches on the web, I found the little f*cker!
The story ended well for me.

al.

Agree with most of the above…

Except for PayPal fees.

Great for buyers, no real use or even bad (in my experience) for sellers. Why?
PayPal seem to always believe a buyer’s turn of events over a seller.

Anyway. I’d much rather use a tracked & insured service over PayPal fees any day as a seller or buyer.

I’d much rather use a tracked & insured service over PayPal fees any day as a seller or buyer.
The reason i pay the fees when i feel its needed, is sadly you can't rely on everybody to be good guys when it goes south.

I totally agree about tracked and insured as a seller (my personal rule is anything over £20 i send is signed for (£50 insurance included) and below that tracked as its cheaper).

The problem comes (and i learnt this the hard way) when you haven't paid your 5% to get the paypal cover and the item just don't turn up! If the sender chooses to ignore your messages, basically your screwed.! Yes, yes, i know we merry band of keyboard warriors, who in our minds will drive to their house like some kind of avenging antihero, to stike a blow for justice,.... but back in the real world you have lost the lot.....suddenly 50p extra sounded like a good idea.....i don't do it all the time, but there's NO WAY I would anything from some random an Facebook any other way for example.

Its a pitty its needed, but that's the world....However, im glad to say on retrobike ive only had one disappointing transaction.....and sadly that was with somebody who should have known wey way better! All the rest of you have been total gents....

Last edited:
I recently bought an item on RB. Communication and service were perfect. But sadly since Brexit the customs and payment services have been of a poor and possibly vindictive (from European side) nature. So I don't really buy anymore on RB or the big commercial sites like SJS or CRC. And that is very sad, I think.

I generally like the attitudes displayed on this thread. There will always be people taking advantage, apparently even mods, that story surprised me. Usually it is a minority. When I am looking at something that is expensive, I will try to engage the seller in conversation about the item. This usually reveals the seller's mentality.

I'm more a seller than a buyer, slowly reducing my pile of spares and 'bits that will come in handy one day' by responding to WTBs (yes, I should just advertise it and get rid) so my view (I don't really have hard rules, maybe loose guidelines) as a seller:

Good description. Be clear, comprehensive and open about items. I try to be factual and non-emotive in my description of condition, hopefully giving the right info to allow the buyer to judge if the item will meet their need.

Photos. It should be possible nowadays to get good clear images that show enough details of the items. If needed, I'll tell potential buyers that I will send photos the next day as I will take them in daylight (no really suitable loghting in house). I look at some adverts on here (and anywhere really, ebay etc) and wonder if the seller has even looked at the photos and thought 'Are these the best pics I could get?".

Answer all questions, clearly and completely. People generally ask a question because they want to know something.

Good packaging. I keep suitable boxes, Jiffy bags etc from my post, really handy to have. Occasionally, if I don't have something suitable then I'll buy it. Don't just wrap something delicate in a black bin bag and hope it will do.

Let the buyer know when it's posted and ask them to let me know when it's arrived. As a seller, be ready to post: have packaging ready, get it in the post asap or, at least, let the buyer know when you will post it.

Payment: I've only recently got PayPal but have had no problem when I've asked buyers to pay by bank transfer (well, just one. Not a problem as such, but he was all set to buy but then suddenly told me he 'didn't like doing online transactions' or similar. No reassurance from me that quite a few people had done BTs to me on here and I was quite happy for him to put up a post asking for anyone to vouch for me, I would be the one giving him my bank details - not him giving his to me - and that I would be unlikely to offer cash-on-collection from my house if I was going to rip him off, was enought to convince him so he went without the part).

I have told some people that I'm happy for them to pay when they receive the item but almost all have paid straightaway. This is based on the reverse of the guideline 'buy the seller, not the item' (which maybe more buyers could do with adopting). I think the thing is to not blindly trust everyone but, on the other hand, don't automatically be paranoid about everyone and assume they are out to rob you: assess the situation and make a judgement.

Last edited:
Member continuity, trust and common sense, however the only thing that never turned up for me was an xt front derailleur from a prominant seller who followed up with an I definitely posted it 2weeks ago style comment ..... so I just wrote that off as shit happens as I can't be doing with bickering.

Only ever used pp gift due to blind faith in humanity.

If this thread resolves one thing could it be that photos of items need to show the good and the bad of the item (frankly the buyer will see it as soon as they open the box!)....and that if you take photo of...ooooh.....say a rear mech, that you try to be in the same room as it and preferably press the button whilst not using the camera as a bolus!

Back