Haro Impulse Comp 1990

Re:

Finally some progress, courtesy of gil_m

20141024_194009_zps6867bf9c.jpg

Picking up the newly powder coated frame tomorrow as well. Getting quite excited :) :)

Re:

Been slowly putting stuff back on the bike these last few weeks. To be honest, but afraid of putting the decals on and screwing them up, so keeping busy with other things.

Only new things so far are a set of unbranded kalloy bars (from velosolo), and a new bottom bracket.

My hack for keeping the bb tool in place during assembly and removal is working well (inspired by the great lgf thread on this topic). Just a low profile bb tool, some space nut thing found from the local hardware shop, couple of big washers, and a spare crank bolt. Then I use the biggest size 32 wrench I could find... not let me down so far. Shiny new bb goes in with no problems and no risk of the tool slipping and damaging the shiny new paint.

20141122_000736_zps4437dbd2.jpg

Your BB tool ... 'arrangement' (I don't want to call it a bodge as it's so nicely done!) looks remarkably similar to mine ;)

So the big question is ... have you had the bottle to fit the decals yet...?!

Re:

A quick photo of where I am as of today.

20141122_100325_zps93618225.jpg

In general I'm very pleased with the quality of the powder coat work. Nice even work, no problems with frame bolts, headset or bottom bracket. For some reason they did not mask off the brake bosses. Took me quite some time to get them cleaned up to get the u-brake moving nicely. Found that the best thing was to work with just the arm, the retaining plate and a bolt (no spring). Then just work on the boss until the bolt and retaining/spacer thing can be firmly tightened on to the boss and the brake arm can move freely.

elPedro666":20nkags2 said:
Your BB tool ... 'arrangement' (I don't want to call it a bodge as it's so nicely done!) looks remarkably similar to mine ;)

So the big question is ... have you had the bottle to fit the decals yet...?!

Thanks, I looked on the forums for a while for "inspiration"

No decals yet ... maybe next weekend :)

The black looks great against that colour, really like it so far :cool: Think I'd prefer blackwall tyres (and proper tyres!), but that could change as more parts get fitted...

Look forward to the big decal moment (no pressure :LOL: )!

elPedro666":2zy4ahaj said:
The black looks great against that colour, really like it so far :cool: Think I'd prefer blackwall tyres (and proper tyres!), but that could change as more parts get fitted...

I have to say I agree. Put it in the living room this morning to "weigh up the job so far" ... It will be getting blackwall mtb tyres very shortly. Just need to see what I have in the garage :D

Re:

Love the progress so far. Saw ads for these in my 1991 MBA mags back-in-the-day, and always loved the look of these frames. My first "proper" bike was a '91 Miyata Elevation 400' bought new my Junior year of high school back in 1991. Had full 400LX components (including the shift/brake levers), and they always performed flawlessly as long as they were adjusted properly. If you do find a set of these shift/brake levers, my recommendation would be to flush them out with some kind of cleaner/degreaser (I use electronic contact cleaner), then spray a light lube in them (I used WD-40, works well enough) to clean out the old, hardened grease & get them moving properly. I'm also a stickler for attention-to-detail, as I see you are. Couple tricks I use are to match up the tire decal centered under the valve stem (always see this not done, one of my pet peeves), using a permanent marker to touch up those nicks in things painted black, and tucking that rear derailleur cable end up into the body of the derailleur for that clean look. I've even been known to go as far as turning the spoke nipples just that slight of a turn so that all the flats are facing out the same way - I know, I have a problem :D

Attachments

• Miyata.jpg
    Miyata.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 494
  • Haro.jpg
    Haro.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 494

Latest posts

Back