GT Zaskar? .... or not ?

I thought this thread (forum?!) was talking about retro bikes? :roll:

FWIW, older GT's from the US are as much about prestige as quality. But the Zaskar's strength is stuff of legend...

I wouldn't consider any 7000 series Zaskar retro, nor can i get excited about low end models, sorry. GT were cool until '96 and even then it was only the US built stuff i craved.

Hmmm, I think that sorting the quality issues with Rock Shox might be more to do with the change in management than the change in location.

I wouldn't consider any 7000 series Zaskar retro, nor can i get excited about low end models, sorry. GT were cool until '96 and even then it was only the US built stuff i craved.

Agreed.

cchris2lou":2nppr5m6 said:
the later Zaskar were 7000 series aluminium . even before the buyout in 1999 .

Then only for the MY99 model? The '97 and '98 were both still 6061. But i'd stopped paying attention by that point and haven't seen the catalogues from >99.

Hi guys,

Been reading over your posts this morning and im a little confused – please forgive my ignorance im not a GT expert. So could this bike I baught be a Zaskar?,
after all. It has 7005 and another number stamped were the rear wheel is held & the top bar is curved at the back with GT stamped on it, is there a way
of telling from the other number stamped maybe it’s the serial number.
I have spoken to the guy this morning and he swears blind he baught it new from a shop 10/11 years ago and it was imported from America and its was
definantly sold to him as a Zaskar 6061?

Cheers again peeps

If its stamped 7005, its a 7005 series alloy frame.

My wife owned a GT Backwoods which was 7000 series alloy, which again was stamped 7000 on the dropout.

Please take a handfull of pics and we may be able to ID a bit better.

All Zaskars from 2000 onwards,including the one pictured in this discussion,are taiwanese produced.All pre-2000 are American made. :D :D

As pickle says, if its stamped with 7005 then its definately not a 6061 frame. The guy you bought it from might have been told its 6061, but he was lied to.

***looking to see if I have a pic of mine***

Here you go, frame number 0893... stamped at end of seat stay, meaning manufactured in August '93 (15yrs old last month :)). 6061 stamped at end of chainstay, denoting material type. They weren't always stamped in the same place, but a 6061 bike would not have been marked as 7005.

9763795a8890117000l.jpg

Back