Lizard front chainring..

Tube Screamer

Dirt Disciple
Hi all, so since getting my Raleigh Lizard back on the road, I’ve noticed a clicking through the drivetrain whilst in the smallest front cog.. under closer inspection, I can see that the teeth are far more worn than the other two cogs, creating an offset sort of shape between teeth.
I’d like to replace the chainring, but not sure of my best option.. I was thinking Shimano would likely be the best bet, as the rear cluster, chain and rear derailleur are all Shimano.
Would anyone be able be able to post a link to whatever I aught to be looking for please.. I’d have ideally liked something silver coloured (as opposed to black) just for originality, but either way it needs replacing, so will go for whatever is available.
There are 6 cogs on the rear cluster, and I believe that the crank arm measures 170mm.

Thanks in advance for any advice on the best options to look at.

👍🏻

Hi and welcome!
Do you have a pic of the cranks, or the code that is stamped on the arms, fc-m???
Thanks for the reply.. it has an M9 stamped into the arm if that helps.. here’s a picture (you can actually see the lettering on the crank arm).. IMG_5774.jpeg

Last edited:
Are those Sachs cranks (the front mech is)? Also don't think the rings can be replaced, but the teeth don't look that worn to me..

Are those Sachs cranks (the front mech is)? Also don't think the rings can be replaced, but the teeth don't look that worn to me..
I’m not entirely sure of the brand of the cranks.. they are made in France, so I’d guess it’s likely that they are Sachs.. the front derailleur is Sachs yes 👍🏻
No the individual rings are riveted together, so can’t be replaced separately.. I will have to replace them as a set. It’s only the inner (smallest) ring teeth that are worn.. I will try and capture it in a picture.. they are definitely misshaped though..

Last edited:
How worn is the chain? Are you only hearing the noise when in that smallest chainring? It could be something else?
Chainring teeth usually look hooked/like sharks teeth when they get very worn . But yeah, I don't think they're replaceable, probably require a replacement chainset as it looks like the crank arms & rings are a one-piece item .

How worn is the chain? Are you only hearing the noise when in that smallest chainring? It could be something else?
Chainring teeth usually look hooked/like sharks teeth when they get very worn . But yeah, I don't think they're replaceable, probably require a replacement chainset as it looks like the crank arms & rings are a one-piece item .
The chain is brand new (Shimano), and yes the noise is only happening in the smallest ring.. regardless of what gear the rear cluster is in.. the second I drop into the smallest front cog, the noise starts.. it’s not just a noise.. you can actually see the jockey wheel carrier (or whatever it’s called) flicking towards the front. As soon as I change into the middle or outer cog, it’s perfect. The teeth on those rings have no/little wear..

Back