FUNK EXPERTS help - identify the year?

Silverfish

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Anyone know if it’s possible to narrow down the build year on a FUNK from the serial number?

My serial number is B307320

Been told it’s a 91

Does that sound about right?

Unfortunately not. Some have numbers, some don’t.

The cable stops and guides are your best options but there’s quite a bit of variation with those as well.

Early funk, (89-91?) no cable stop on seat post, used a roller.
Chunky welds, 26.8 seat tube?
Riveted cable stop on top tube.
Angle cut top of seat post, welded clamp.

91-93 cable stop on seat tube, welded guides on top tube, started to smooth welds.

93-94/5 31.6 seat tube, 34.9 front mech.
Smooth welds, welded cable stops on TT
External seat post clamp.

I'm not 100% on these details as things changed, but pretty sure it's about right.

Early bikes used screw-in gear cable stops and the half moon guides on the top tube were also riveted. Overtime these were welded but the transition took a few years. A ‘91 might have a mixture of both.

The early bikes used a screw in cable stop in the front mech. The roller was added later.

Welded guides on TT
ST has roller front mech pulley
Screw in cable guides on seat stay
Big Smooth ish welds
31.6 post
No seat binder bolt - uses external seatpost clamp

Imprecise science.
Yep
Pretty frustrating
I want to get the build correct
But having sourced a load of 91 parts
It feels like I could have just specced anything between 1990 and 1995 and nobody would even notice 🤦‍♂️
I like to get it right - and even better - I like to be challenged. But I don’t want to build it 1991 and then some Funk guru walks up and says that’s lovely - but why did you build that 93 frame with all 91 parts? 😳🤣🤦‍♂️🔫

A ‘93 should have the later decals so it’s either a ‘91 or ‘92.

I’d say ‘91 because of the screw in stops on the seat stays but ‘92 because of the seat post diameter.

Imprecise…

Back