grantoury

Kona Fan
I have just swapped my (flawless) ergopower 9 speed shifters for some VO thumbies and barend shifters. I kept the Campagnolo RD so I went with friction shifting. I am surprised how quickly I took to it again. It just gives so much feel, it is uncanny. I have some Shimano RDs as well, so could go to index but I am loving this. So my question to you is: which do you prefer, friction or indexed shifting? Would you choose to go for friction even when you don't have to?

1659095388331.png

Each have their merits but I predominantly ride friction shifting because I enjoy the feel thing. I have two bikes with friction shifting, one fixed, two more with 6sp indexed and two spare 10sp Campag gruppos sitting in a box in the shed. I don't miss ergos/indexing. Its like people who like double declutching vs syncromeshes. You get back something engineering took away from you...if you want to.

My fav is Suntour indexing all-day long for me but with out the shiftpoint cassettes! ..can't beat that sound of click bang go,Shimano is too quiet soft and slow

Currently faffing with funrace 9 speed index downtube shifters....so much fun..😆 you can have good up the block ...you can have good down the block but not both...🙄
Think I'll bring out some 7 speed suntour on friction and throw the dumbrace 9s into next doors garden.

Recently went out on my ancient ’83 Stumpjumper which hasn’t been ridden for a few years. I was 10 minutes into the ride before I remembered it was friction shifting, it was just so natural. Seems muscle memory establishes an intuitive kind of mental indexing.

Few gears, HG sprockets and efficient, early-shifting mech’s help. I can’t say I remember the laborious over-shift-then-adjust fumbling of a 70s Nuovo Record being such a Zen like experience!

Indexed for me every time. But I mostly ride single speed and fixed for the last 10 years, so I don't even do much gear shifting anymore.

One of my road bikes can be switched from indexed to friction on the down tube shifters, but I only regard that as a get-you-home option if disaster strikes, and indexing can't be used because a stick got caught in the wheel and the mech got mangled.

Back