Gripshift xray conundrum?...

superdan1984

Dirt Disciple
So i've had this happen to me twice now on buying gripshift x-ray shifters and am completely confused by it, so I thought I'd ask the trusty internet...

I've now bought 2 8 speed shifters which are supposed to be right hand shifters but are lefthand, but with 8 spd internals.
Meaning you have to put it on upside down with outer bolts facing up, which means you have to shift forward for it to work...
I. Mean... WTF is this guy's?...
Anyone know what's going on here?
Is it some weird European frankenstein shifter that I've been unlucky enough to get twice?
I don't want to buy another one of these incorrectly again lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230509_202355_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230509_202355_eBay.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 13
I recall people modifying X-rays to fit the lower end black plastic gripshift (SRT-400 or something) but I don’t know why.

Not sure what’s happened with yours though.

I seem to remember a set or two I had that had multiple indexes for the front when I expected just a couple. Seems it was for micro indexing/trimming the front mech to counter rubbing.

The indexing is in the grip portion, and the 8 speed grip won't go in a lefthand body, the ramp that pulls the cable tighter would be facing the wrong way so wouldn't work, more likely that it's the micro index/trim thing that @ishaw mentioned and it is just a lefthand shifter unfortunately.

The left Gripshift had FFS (fastest front shifting, to shift with one twist from the smallest to the biggest chain ring), and it was typical available in two variants, one with Dual-SIS with just 3 klicks and an indexed variant.
Typically there was a model number printed on the shifter, something like SRT800X-81-3. I think the last few digits may include some information about the variant.

As others have said, it's not a left hand 8-speed shifter, it's the front mech shifter with multiple clicks that allows you to fine-tune the position of the mech, and quickly shift up/down all chainrings.

Back