legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
being called one stung

people who know me will also know that I'm pretty much exactly the same on here as I am in the real world (but with more odour)

retrogrouch....

Hmmm, I dunno, I like my old bicycles. Getting older you see the patterns forming and it may take a while for some but newer is not always beterer and that can be hard for some to understanderer. I like being surrounded by stuff that all works together, I like taking a 35 year old wheelset and knowing that it will fit perfectly with that and shift equally well with the other. Its stability in an uncertain world. I cant stand friction shifting, I have 15 sets of SPD pedals at the last count and theres even rumour of the existence of a set of carbon fibre bars on one of my bicycles....

I stream, the TV is OLED, this laptop is touchscreen and solid state and I have solar panels. My music is old, new and all sorts inbetween. Heck, I blew shitloads on Hope hydraulics when they came out, going from cantilevers to discs? Blew my mind. Full suspension as soon as I could afford it, again, it was bonkers. I had a DAT walkman, I had a NICAM stereo TV as soon as I could, I had a plasma screen as soon as I could

so anyway, my old bicycles, radios, hifi, synthesisers were new to someone once and were cutting edge in their day. As a result of an upbringing by a frugal grandmother who lived through rationing and WWI and growing up having to make do and mend , some of those genes led me to living in a similar way. But retrogrouch? eek! I just like the old stuff others discarded

But I draw the line at carbon frames, Bournemouth and 12spd cassettes

Retrogrump, maybe.

being called one stung

people who know me will also know that I'm pretty much exactly the same on here as I am in the real world (but with more odour)

retrogrouch....

Hmmm, I dunno, I like my old bicycles. Getting older you see the patterns forming and it may take a while for some but newer is not always beterer and that can be hard for some to understanderer. I like being surrounded by stuff that all works together, I like taking a 35 year old wheelset and knowing that it will fit perfectly with that and shift equally well with the other. Its stability in an uncertain world. I cant stand friction shifting, I have 15 sets of SPD pedals at the last count and theres even rumour of the existence of a set of carbon fibre bars on one of my bicycles....

I stream, the TV is OLED, this laptop is touchscreen and solid state and I have solar panels. My music is old, new and all sorts inbetween. Heck, I blew shitloads on Hope hydraulics when they came out, going from cantilevers to discs? Blew my mind. Full suspension as soon as I could afford it, again, it was bonkers. I had a DAT walkman, I had a NICAM stereo TV as soon as I could, I had a plasma screen as soon as I could

so anyway, my old bicycles, radios, hifi, synthesisers were new to someone once and were cutting edge in their day. As a result of an upbringing by a frugal grandmother who lived through rationing and WWI and growing up having to make do and mend , some of those genes led me to living in a similar way. But retrogrouch? eek! I just like the old stuff others discarded

But I draw the line at carbon frames, Bournemouth and 12spd cassettes

Retrogrump, maybe.
Chin up big fella, your posts on here are usually full of insight, good information and humour. You most definitely are one of the positive things about Retro Bike.

For me Retrobike has always been a friendly, good natured site full of people with a common interest. It's felt like a great big friendly family ( joined in 2009). Of late there are people posting deliberately provocative / insulting posts, seemingly with the aim of riling the retrobike massif.
It's not big and it's not clever - it's certainly nowhere near as big as my "ignore" list.

Latest posts

Back