Frame respray paint selection

ok, thanks for the info, i will start painting soon. i just have one other question. to what degree can i get away with oxidation and rusting on the surface of the frame in regards to painting?
Having removed all the paint now i can see that there are some spots where the frame has begun to oxidize and gone darker grey. they are very small (lines less than a mm thick) but will they hinder the painting?

I know what you mean.......not a problem. Just try and sand off any actual rust spots. The lines are fine. I'm not sure what the cause is but all older steel frames have a bit.

I think all steel frames rust from the inside out so once you have it down to metal, it's a good opportunity to clean the inside of the frame. I'm still experimenting with this but have used detergent and a pressure hose or even hot water just to dislodge any grit. Then you can use wd40 inside the frame to displace any water left. Let it dry for an hour before wd40'ing. This will hinder the rust as well so worth it if a little messy.

Have you bought primer yet?

ok, i havent bought primer yet. i reckon ill get it sometime this week. either online or from an art supplies shop near me.

I use etch primer (excellent adhesion to bare metal) first but that might be overkill.

Halfords is fine for primer....the normal one is grey (£8 for a large can) but for the same price they also do a filler primer - it's the yellow one. Filler primers can be lightly sanded so are great for covering the small imperfections like the lines you talked about.

I think that will be a lot cheaper than the art supplies options.

You will only need one or two cans of paint - I bought far too much the first time I sprayed.

Dont forget to mask

Keep us updated.

well, the paint arrived today, and i primed the fork. All seems to be going well so far. the surface finish seems very good, so tomorrow i will prime the rest of the frame and maybe do the basecoat of colour on sunday. depending on how much time i have :)

i ended up going for the spray.bike stuff. i sprayed the fork yesterday and it seems to have come out well, i'll give it another coat and i think it will be done. ill start the frame next weekend i imagine :)

:)
actually i realise i do have a question, having primed the parts and sanded them down a tad to flatten everything, they now have a decent amount of paint dust and stuff on top of the primer, i imagine this will be detrimental to the final finish, can i just clean it with meths or something alike, or water?

Re:

Water is fine,I find a wet sponge works well,less chance of getting fabric fibres.As long as you give the primer enough time to dry out before the next coat.
Sounds like I'm stating the obvious there but primer is porous and will absorb moisture.Found that out after spending a long time welding,filling and priming my wheel arches then leaving them in bare primer over a winter.Couldn't work out why the rust spots had come through. :facepalm:
Are you happy with the result so far?

Back