1979 Rondinella

I had a 13-18 block & was extremely tough to get moving from the start but rolled nicely but felt like peddling in slow motion & from memory felt slow so was surprised when I had done a short 23 for the 10miles….
It's no small jump 57 to 68 . Don't believe in half measures do you .

It was an experiment & was young & strong back then doing 400-500kg leg presses from memory in weight training sessions….
Having been party to carrying weights of that magnitude up and down stairs , a 48 channel analogue mixing desk in it's flight case is about 450kg , that statement boggles my mind .
No half measures , no retreat and no surrender !

Reactions: Nob
Having been party to carrying weights of that magnitude up and down stairs , a 48 channel analogue mixing desk in it's flight case is about 450kg , that statement boggles my mind .
No half measures , no retreat and no surrender !
In my offshore life had to carry lots of heavy equipment from the pipe decks etc down to the wellhead area at the bottom of the rig so you become pretty strong in legs especially with the amount of stairs you have to climb up & down….Brent Charlie & Fulmar Alpha spring to mind….

In my offshore life had to carry lots of heavy equipment from the pipe decks etc down to the wellhead area at the bottom of the rig so you become pretty strong in legs especially with the amount of stairs you have to climb up & down….Brent Charlie & Fulmar Alpha spring to mind….
I battered my knees at an early age so have had to develop strategies to cope and care for them . 6 floors in the Cafe Royal is the most that London can fling at you unless you get a gig in the disused tube station on the Strand ,150kg cable trunks up and down a spiral stair 5ft wide .There is a lift but it's listed so they won't let you use it .
Barrowlands in Glasgow is the UKs most famous stairs gig .

I battered my knees at an early age so have had to develop strategies to cope and care for them . 6 floors in the Cafe Royal is the most that London can fling at you unless you get a gig in the disused tube station on the Strand ,150kg cable trunks up and down a spiral stair 5ft wide .There is a lift but it's listed so they won't let you use it .
Barrowlands in Glasgow is the UKs most famous stairs gig .
Agreed as I had back surgery in 93 could no longer run but didn’t stop me from having a normal life but just adapted like you did & have to watch what I lift for the rest of my life & the back hates cold climates something that won’t last long as I’ll be relocating back to warmer climes in 25.

Agreed as I had back surgery in 93 could no longer run but didn’t stop me from having a normal life but just adapted like you did & have to watch what I lift for the rest of my life & the back hates cold climates something that won’t last long as I’ll be relocating back to warmer climes in 25.
I have a "6 pack" on my lower back built from protecting my knees . They've told me that to fix my right leg they'd have to cut my foot off , reshape the ends of the shin bones and stick the foot back on . F -that !
The warmth is deffo the answer ! Enjoy .

Reactions: Nob
Right so . The news is basically good in that I'm sure enough that it will be useable , to progress . The only potential bad news is aesthetic , squeamish people who like bicycles to look right , I agree with you whole heartedly but look away now .
The brakes are fine and will stay , they're hard to beat for the time period .
The derailleurs are in the balance , they'll stay for now but the front mech will be changed at some point , the sooner the better . It's the second version so production ended in '77 and this one is ropey and certainly doesn't like 30 - 46 .
P1060571.JPG The rear is a pat'73 so is also feeling it's age . I have a first gen Rally spare that would open up the ratio choices but I don't really want to use . If I'm going to put a long armed mech on I'd rather go with first gen Suntour Cyclone . We'll see .

P1060572.JPG

Last edited:
So the chainrings . Given the kind of use she's going to get a single ring might , just might , be an option . From where I am now though it seems the best course of action is to straight swap both the rings with the Condors . Keep it simple and make it easy , Record fronts are hardly flexible .
P1060573.JPG These are 32 - 42 .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back