Folding bike recommendations - Airnimal?

Re: Folding bike recommendations please

It dont look £770 worth of bicycle

brompton-m1e-2014-folding-bike.jpg

That is the problem. A few friends have them and it doesn't feel like one either, hence hoping other options are out there.

ishaw":2ebam65v said:
That is the problem. A few friends have them and it doesn't feel like one either, hence hoping other options are out there.

The other galling thing was that for a few years recently they were basically increasing the price by £50 a year for no other reason than demand as far as I could tell. It's not that long ago it was a £4-500 bike rather than an £800 one. Secondhand prices, unless you get lucky, are also stubbornly high. I ended up paying £300 for mine secondhand (they were about £600 new at the time) and I still felt it was expensive. The seller probably made a profit!

That said I do love riding my Brompton - but you have to regard it like a pedigree dog with breed specific problems.

My Friend has a 1998 model with all the current 'upgrades' - its currently worth a couple of hundred more than what he paid and upgraded.

So far, research keeps me coming back to the Dahon Cadenza or Tern Joe. Any thought on either of these? They have different folding mechanisms so would appreciate any thoughts/experience on them if anyone has any.

I'd be thinking of modifying the bike once bought anyway, swapping out drive train and brakes for better ones I suspect, so are there any pitfalls in doing this?

Re:

forget that, here is what you need, giant halfway

747_2.JPG

tbh i havnt actually tried one, so i cant comment on the folding mech or comfort etc, but check out the cool mono stay and fork. nice
and if that isnt enough, rollercam brakes too :cool:

I've considered the Pacific actually, my lbs stocks them and they are pretty trick, but still don't look right to me. Hadn't come across the giant so might take a closer look at that, though whilst I'm a keen retrobiker, I'd prefer a modern folder as I'd hope that technology has improved and if get a better folding mechanism, lighter bike etc. I'm also keen to try and get disc brakes and avoid bespoke parts where possible as I want to upgrade/pimp it up to somewhere near my usual bike build level.

I'm also thinking that if I get the right bike, I could get away with a (proper) rack on the back and use it for child seat duties as well, so rather than an addition to the fleet I could for once adopt a 1 in, 1 out policy.

I also quite like the Airnimal range.

Still struggling with the fact that wheel size makes them all look a bit silly, as well, as less stable to ride.

ishaw":3s7mez6f said:
So far, research keeps me coming back to the Dahon Cadenza or Tern Joe. Any thought on either of these? They have different folding mechanisms so would appreciate any thoughts/experience on them if anyone has any.

I'd be thinking of modifying the bike once bought anyway, swapping out drive train and brakes for better ones I suspect, so are there any pitfalls in doing this?

Definitely try them - and have a go at folding a couple of times in the shop (as well as lifting them too). Look out of points of contact to see if the paint is likely to be damaged. Missus has a nominally folding electric bike - but believe me, you ain't carrying that anywhere unless you are Geoff Capes and folding takes a couple of minutes.

Re: modification. The key thing would be the fold - some components are chosen because they won't get in the way of it or in the case of non-folding pedals add to bulk. Lastly, with long arm rear mechs and small wheels give a little thought to ground clearance.

Yes, small wheels look a bit daft - but they are surprisingly quick at accelerating from traffic lights and can give you a touch more manoeuvrability.

Thanks for that.

Just to add something to the mix, came across a link to this bike, which looks absolutely awesome but something tells me that it will be out of my price range and I'm not convinced that the seat post clamp section won't snap off as it's not supported. Aside from that, this could be the perfect folding bike.

http://www.coroflot.com/gustavouk/Folda ... &k=bicycle

Back