Folders! Foldable bicycles; love or hate? do you own/use one? Minivelos and demontables added

grantoury

Kona Fan
Foldable bicycles: I have always found them interesting, from the seventies on, when we saw these shapes in the Netherlands. Every reputable firm built them, this is a Batavus:

1200px-Batavus_vouwfiets.jpg

I guess you know them as folding shoppers.

Then came the Bromptons, with their quick fold, and the Dahons, Terns, Airnimals, Birdies and Mezzos. Moultons are not quite folders but some are divisible.

In this thread I want to share some interesting folders from the past, and you are invited to share your thoughts on foldable bicycles, be it good, bad or indifferent. If you own a folder, please share a picture, I would like to see it, and hopefully there are more who do. There have been a few threads on folders over the years, but I thought a new one may be worthwhile. S&S couplers! Oh, and what about Rinko? Anyone into that?

After a few months some things have sneaked into the thread, like bicycles that are demontable and minivelos: bikes with small wheels that do not fold. These are very welcome!

Last edited:
No, someone told me family had this in their “barn”

And I asked if they could get it out.

Currently being restored but bike parts aren’t exactly as easy to get hold of as in England and I’m missing a 13mm spanner and a set of Alan keys so it’s going slooowly.

I used on for a short while, an airnimal joey.

I needed rather than wanted one, tried various, Brompton, birdy etc. Hated the look and ride, but the Airnimal was an exception to they, looked like a bike and rode like a bike, really liked it.

My job relocated so didn't use it much, it was pricy, but worth it over the cost of others that were plain awful.

I used on for a short while, an airnimal joey.

I needed rather than wanted one, tried various, Brompton, birdy etc. Hated the look and ride, but the Airnimal was an exception to they, looked like a bike and rode like a bike, really liked it.

My job relocated so didn't use it much, it was pricy, but worth it over the cost of others that were plain awful.
Do you still have it?

Back