Flite - recovering one in white/ cream or red leather

d8mok

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I’ve a very tatty Flite saddle which I’m considering recovering

To fit with a project it could go either white/cream or red.

Does anyone have a source or link to appropriate leather to use ? I assume it needs a bit of padding and to be stretchy.

I did 2 fights in Alcantara as an experiment....along with a rolls and a turbo. However, it made it quite a hard job as there is very little if any stretch.

You deffo want something with a small amount of stretch, which leather naturally has, especially with the aid of a little moisture.

I’ve found a mint condition WTB SST-K in a drawer.

Would it be crazy to try to use that to recover a Flite. 🤔

if you are going with real leather then soak it for 24 hours before hand, you want 0.9 to 1.2mm thickness. if you go with something fake (preferable to be honest) then look for something with 4 way stretch like upholstery leatherette
the padding comes from the foam, don't get anything with padding stuck to it.

you can get upholstery leatherette on ebay for cheap, buy about twice what you think you'll need, although most places only sell by the metre anyway, this will give you enough to pull it about and stretch it. be aware that it will have a bias i.e. it will be stretchier in one direction than the other, from memory you want it to be stretchy across the saddle not along it.

you'll also want a bloody good stapler. :)

This what you need, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225597193262
No need to pre treat as it already has enough stretch, use a contact adhesive such as evo-stik or Bostik. When removing the old cover peal it slowly as the adhesive can pull pieces of foam with it, I use a small hand held steamer when doing this to soften the adhesive & they can used to reshape compressed foam.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I've a very tired flite I may have a play with like this. I'm sure Mike muz did a zebra one a few years ago?

Latest posts

Back