Private_Repress

Old School Hero
Hi all, I’m new to the forum - so I apologise in advance if this is in the wrong section!

Seems like a great community though, and already met some of you through purchasing the odd bits and bobs.

I’ve had the urge to build a bit of a retro mod for a while now, with a few requirements in mind:

- Early to mid 90s
- Steel
- Rigid
- Decent tyre clearance
- 1 1/8 steerer

The goal was to build something with various bits I have in the garage that would be suitable for some winter riding, predominantly local single track, canals and bits of road that link the two aforementioned. I also needed something that had a bit more of a sit up right position as opposed to race geo.

But as I got into it, I found that I ended up going for more and more modern parts. Which actually works in favour of another little project I have.

I’d already started collecting parts before I stumbled on the frame set for sale on this very forum.

So here is the first draft of the build, not exactly as I want it, but I’m sure you’ll get the idea:

IMG_9182.jpeg
IMG_9183.jpeg
IMG_9186.jpeg

Had my first ride on it today, and it was such a blast!

I come from a trials bike background, so building something solid for the odd bit of bunny hopping, dropping and general foolery was key. Hence the long oversized bars and wider than needed tyres.

Running some near new hope ti glides on Mavic rims provides a nice engaging solid wheel set.

The bar and stem were and still are intended for another bike, but I’ll be buying the same in silver for this now I’ve tested it.

I have a matching arch rival for the rear which I’m still in the process of polishing and servicing (they were a crusty set from eBay that I figured I could bring back to life):

IMG_9155.jpeg

Other than that, I have a set middleburns that I’m refurbishing that will go on it, also polished silver. Then it’s a case of new brake pads, and replace some of the bolts.

Nice! These later Alpinestars are really good quality. & of course super cool as well 😎
Thanks, yes thankfully this is a 1995 steel frame, before they stopped in 1996. As I understand it from researching, this particular model wasn’t available in UK markets. The only info I could find on it suggests it was predominantly sold in Germany.

I’d love to know more, like the original spec (which I think was a XT group set) but the catalogues available only seem to be up 1993. I believe the CR400 was the steel range too model, but I’m not 100%

Either way, I’m delighted with it, and the parts I’m running suit me and my riding style perfectly

Underappriciated these. As has been said these later frames ride really nice, you can tell they were trying realy hard to shake the reputational damage the Al Mega did, but I guess it was to no avail.

That looks great as it is but I reckon set of silver VO Klunkers bars would set it off a treat.

Underappriciated these. As has been said these later frames ride really nice, you can tell they were trying realy hard to shake the reputational damage the Al Mega did, but I guess it was to no avail.

That looks great as it is but I reckon set of silver VO Klunkers bars would set it off a treat.
Klunkers are a good shout, and would certainly suit it. At the moment I intend to get another set of these BLB smoke risers in polished along with the a silver stem. I’m not a fan of the black at the moment. Silver would be a nice nod to the original bar and stem too

Did a midnight ride last night with the refurbished arch rival on the back, forgot how good these brakes are! A good mix of road, footpaths and single track. The bike is rapid, decided I’ll hunt around for a QR for the seat post, a 10mm spanner and 5mm allen key to adjust the height feels a bit too dated!

IMG_9272.jpeg

Funnily enough this popped up in my eBay saved search the other day, not off the same frame but might work?

Cromega D560 QR

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back