Fixed gear mud and ice bike

chris667":1vu66so9 said:
Not specifically ice and snow, just something solid and reassuring for bad weather. I have the parts, so why not?
You often hear fixed gears recommended for slippery conditions because of their supposedly better traction, but at any speed above a crawl you need to be a very smooth spinner to make the most of it. I've found fixed great for slippery climbs and on the flat, but descending can be a lot trickier than with a freewheel. With gears you have the option of choosing a biggish gear and keeping up a slow, even cadence, and at least with a freewheel you can coast. With a fixie you're condemned to twiddling on sketchy descents.

The low maintenance thing is a big plus, of course.

Jim, I live on a canal. No hills, ever, as you'd see if you ever saw me riding up one.

It's just a toy, really, a way to kill a bit of time in the man cave.

chris667":sbc8xwt9 said:
Jim, I live on a canal.
Ah! I read "mooring" and thought "moors"...

:LOL:

In that case, fix 'er up! If you've found a singlespeed gear you're happy with, there's probably no reason to change it.

I ran a slightly higher gear on my fix for the commute from Whitchurch to Reading but that was fair surfaces in the main part but 34x17 is a good easy gear for fixed in these parts. Studded tyres, unless you have them already, would be a touch of overkill given the few really icy days we get in the south.

I miss my fixie but loads of folk have them now so they are no longer cool ;)

Back