Help sizing a 1991 trek 7000 aluminium please!

Stormylolol

Dirt Disciple
Hello all,

I am looking at obtaining an old hardtail as a pub bike and gravel hack which may or may not get a drop bar conversion when I’m bored in summer.

The trek 7000 series seems like a great candidate and I found this one quite nearby.
I’ve identified it as a 1991 model trek 7000 and the catalogues state this came in sizes including 16.5” and 18”, but no 17”. I’m a bit confused now as most of the research I’ve done says a man of my height (5ft10/179cm) should be on a 17” frame ideally.
Am I right in thinking that realistically either of these sizes might fit as I’m not looking to be riding anything gnarly on it? The last mtb I owned was a kona nunu half my lifetime ago and I’m really clueless with the mtb sizing.
I want to say it looks like a 16.5” rather than 18” but considering the last sentence, my thought has as much integrity as a matchstick house…

Here’s a picture of the frame - if anybody has any advice/experience and/or can estimate as to whether it would be worth going to have a look based on pictures I would be very grateful!

714624F6-5347-4A15-9A39-5CC915501A9B.jpeg

At 5'10" I'd go for the smaller frame if I had the choice - but if you're riding this as a pub bike - a lower saddle is no issue and probably easier to get on/off after a few jars.
I'd say this is an 18"

At 5'10" I'd go for the smaller frame if I had the choice - but if you're riding this as a pub bike - a lower saddle is no issue and probably easier to get on/off after a few jars.
I'd say this is an 18"
Thanks for the response, I asked the seller but he’s not sure so I think I’ll leave it and wait for something that is a better match long term.

Cheers 👍

That’s something of a generalisation.
I can ride a 19” - but a 17” feels better.
It depends on your proportions - shorter legs/longer body don’t necessarily like a 19”

That’s something of a generalisation.
I can ride a 19” - but a 17” feels better.
It depends on your proportions - shorter legs/longer body don’t necessarily like a 19”
Yes, generally speaking, a 5ft10 guy should ride a 19/20in Trek 7000.

I had this exact bike as a training bike in the mid-to-late 90s. I'm 5' 7" and had the 18" size which was a good fit as some 16" frames can be too compact in terms of reach. The bike looks like a 18" to me as there's not much slope on the top tube, but the picture is taken from the worst angle possible! :) That bike also looks fully original! 😎

Here's my old listing from 10 years ago!!!

That seatpost height is set for me, but I think my legs are quite long for a shortie! 🤣

Nice super-neutral handling bike for a 90s machine.

If you're looking at doing a drop-bar conversion you'd want to go bigger as the saddle to handlebar drop is exaggerated and none of us are getting any more flexible as we age... 😜

Back