Disc brake options for the modern man?

Don't think there is any snobbery with the better Clarkes brakes and i have run them (cheaper version a long time ago) happily. But a quick Google suggest I can't get them for less than 195 quid. Wiggle were selling code rs for 56 quid an end a week or so ago. So nearly double price

They do look nice. Part of my research came across some reviews of the basic Clarks which were rated highly for the money, though of course not high end. If they translate upwards they are probably very good, may see if their floating rotors are 2mm....

I've been using Magura MT Trail Sports for a couple of years, not managed to break the "crappy plastic levers" yet, plenty powerful enough too, only maintenance I've done is fit a new set of pads.
Shimano work well for me, only ever had one real issue in many years of use.
Same with Sram.
Never got on with Hope brakes, needed the most maintenance of any brakes I've had, not a fan of the brake feel, and tbh not blown away by the performance either (ok, except the Motos with vented discs, but they were a bit silly 😅).
I'm biased but I'd go for Magura or maybe Sram.

They do look nice. Part of my research came across some reviews of the basic Clarks which were rated highly for the money, though of course not high end. If they translate upwards they are probably very good, may see if their floating rotors are 2mm....
I see on a different site someone mentions the Clarkson aren180 and 160 max which is a shame.

I have been riding the XT M8000 for years. They simply do what they are supposed to do, have enough power and I also find the modulation just right (for me).
Most importantly, they use mineral oil and not DOT fluid, which has made bleeding unnecessary for me so far.
I also briefly rode the Hope e4 and was disappointed by the braking performance. There was hardly any braking power, despite the steel braided lines. But I don't know if it was due to the pads. Visually, I think they are cool in any case.

If I was going Trickstuff it would have the be Piccola HD :cool:

PCA_C42_SISW.jpg

Back