"Fixed" Explosif

Very cool but as above, I think a single brake would be a good idea just for cornering.

Seen Superted (charge rider) ride a 50k off road fixed...rode a single front brake and did okay despite it being horrendously muddy! Has anyone tried using a coaster brake on an MTB yet?

Let us know how you get on

eastcoaststeve":3q9pdkab said:
My Kona wan't broken, but I "fixed" it

you sure it wasn't broken? mech hanger looks as twisted as my mate dave. ;)

fixedgearmtbhub1.jpg

i like this a lot btw, and i am very curious!

amedias":1ricrbdf said:
what cranks are they?

Cranks are nice old Suginos with a "hidden" 5th arm:

suginocrank2.jpg

Hope to have a ride report on Friday (1st day off). I hear you on the brake, but I'm keen on trying a go without it. Might add one if I feel the need to misbehave on it ;)

Didn't notice the hanger when I took off the mech (but it does look a bit off in the pic)...guess it doesn't matter either way at this point though. :)

Steve

I see what you did there.....

The grips look fab. Love the set up, you can always flip the hub once you are sick off having no tendons left in your knees/ankles.

You get my hardcore award though. Snowriding on a rigid fixie. Jeesh!

The more I look at that with no brakes and no SPD's or clips and straps the more it scares me.

On a side note... I was telemarking yesterday and I'm now feeling the burn in the same leg muscle groups I as do when I've been fixie-ing down mahoosive hills!

Telemarking as training for fixieing? or should that be the other way round?

Promised you guys more pics and a ride report.....

No snow today, but plenty of mud to slide around in.

Last clean shot of the bike:

konaridebefore.jpg

A few action shots:

konaride1.jpg

konaride2.jpg

konaride5.jpg

konaride4.jpg

Not clean anymore:

konaride7.jpg

Only one word to accurately describe the ride: FUN!

Ended up on the ground a couple of times, but the ground was soft and I bounce pretty well ;) .

Fixed gear took a bit of getting used to when clearing obstacles, (having the cranks in the "wrong" spot at the "wrong" time kept me on my toes).

Overall, everything worked great together, and the gearing was perfect for the mucky trails.

Can't wait for the snow for my next ride :D

Steve

Back