Festive Frolics 2014 - Cancelled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re:

Not sure yet whether I'm OK for the 28th, I'll see closer to then.

As to discouraging people coming on MacRetro rides with modern bikes because we are supposed to be riding Retro Bikes, well, that seems mair than a wee bit OCD to me. Sheldon Cooper would be proud.

It's the guys on the bikes, overwhelmingly it's guys on RetroBike :roll: , that I want to enjoy MTBing with, not the bikes. OK seeing older bikes is interesting but wouldn't we prefer to encourage more participation? Having some people from the meetup group joining us might get some of them into RetroBikes like us, can't do any harm, besides from what I've read there's women, ladies, girls :shock: going on meetup rides too. :cool: That can't be bad, can it?

Re: Festive Frolics 2014 - Sunday 28th December 11am Glentress

the more the merrier in my book

always a good day after all that overeating, drinking and too much family, however I'll be missing this year

unless the weather is p!sher than usual up in the north west, I'll be on Skye instead

Re: Re:

old_coyote_pedaller":1lmd2yas said:
I've read there's women, ladies, girls

Did anyone else read this in a Father Jack voice?

Mibees aye, for me, I have a full 2 weeks off so would love some me time.

I will try and spread the word with meetup about the world of retrobike but they do tend toward liking the latest kit not the old stuff. We need more people involved in retrobike as although niche is ok its a short step to clique and I dont want that !

velomaniac":3c0r1o8l said:
I will try and spread the word with meetup about the world of retrobike but they do tend toward liking the latest kit not the old stuff. We need more people involved in retrobike as although niche is ok its a short step to clique and I dont want that !

I'm not quite sure I get where you are coming from Velo. :?

More people might be nice for some rides, but then, having been on big rides outside of Retrobike, they are pretty shit IMHO. If you want to go on meet-up rides then you can. Indeed, you personally do! But that doesn't mean the two sites have to merge, or that a small retrobike ride is a bad thing.

Let's ask John if he wants to merge the 2 sites? Then we can have more people.

And we could merge with singlecrackworld while we are at it. Even more people then!

In fact, f*ck it. Sticking with mountain biking sites is too cliquey. Lets merge with Facebook and twitter as well, and then we can have lots and lots of people. :facepalm:

That'd be magic. :evil:

Re:

Naw, you've taken that too far, pal. :mrgreen:

I think that there's an optimum number of riders for an organised ride but I'm fecked if I know what that is.
Any ride with reasonable numbers is going to break up into smaller groups based on fitness, what they want to ride, friends, etc, (unless the initial group size is too small to split sensibly) so there won't be a mega mass ride where each rider becomes less of an individual participant and more anonymous.

PMSL, needed that when in work this late

Re:

Interesting debate.

MacRetro is fortunate that there is a core of decent folk who are generally friendly to one another and enjoy a blether when out on rides.
We all came together through a common interest. Some have moved on and are no longer into the retro side of things but remain part of the group because its a friendly forum with little of the nastiness and spite often found on other groups.
A ride out organised through MacRetro is just that. A club get together. Like OCP said , It's the people I enjoy meeting up with more than what bikes we're riding.
Now I don't have any objection to folk inviting the odd pal along now and again but I'm sure we're all members of other forums/clubs and if we were to start putting out an open invite to all and sundry then as FFTC says we would be just as well having one huge club/forum !
As for making rides retro only , thats just daft. Who's going to enforce that? I don't mind riding retro at Dunkeld or similar however I won't be riding retro at trail centres.
Just my thoughts ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back