Falcon Triomphe 653 - Anyone know anything about it?

Joe of Loath":2irpwu2z said:
Midlife":2irpwu2z said:
Decals look like they are off a Falcon Scorpio............but doesn't look like any Scorpio to me.

I have a handbuilt Falcon frame from the mid 70's but they were thinking then it wasn't economic, they kept building them for a few years more, even doing some brazing bits (the six girls who built in the 70's didn't do braze ons).

That frame looks 80's to me and by that time they were buying frames in from Taiwan and the far east...

Might be one of the last handbuilt Falcon's but not convinced..........

Shaun

I thought Falcon built their own bikes well into the 80s?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falcon_Cycles

Falcon were good quality bikes originally built by Roberts, and then by Coventry Eagle. Unfortunately, they were another company to fall into the hands of Ernie Clements. He bought several well known companies including Harry Quinn and imported cheap mass produced frames from the far east. As the owner he retained the right to decal the frames with the builders names. Hence you have to be very careful with Harry Quinn frames, if it doesn't have a 'Q' frame number it will be an Ernie Clements import. I once met a gentleman who was very proud of having bought one of the last 'limited edition' Harry Quinn frames thinking it would be a good investment. I didn't have the heart to tell him it was a cheap Taiwan import. When Harry found out what Ernie was doing he was so disgusted he started building again in South Wales.

There's even a story about loads of Ernies or Franks frames being buried in Telford as he tried to hide them from the bailiffs.

Aha, that clears things up. I have a Falcon frame made somewhere between 1980 and 1986 (Various components it came with were marked with different dates), I was under the impression that it was built in England. Unsure now, but still optimistic, as you noted about the lack of braze ons. I don't have any at all.

Robbied196":3dkk39wm said:
Joe of Loath":3dkk39wm said:
Midlife":3dkk39wm said:
Decals look like they are off a Falcon Scorpio............but doesn't look like any Scorpio to me.

I have a handbuilt Falcon frame from the mid 70's but they were thinking then it wasn't economic, they kept building them for a few years more, even doing some brazing bits (the six girls who built in the 70's didn't do braze ons).

That frame looks 80's to me and by that time they were buying frames in from Taiwan and the far east...

Shaun

I thought Falcon built their own bikes well into the 80s?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falcon_Cycles

Falcon were good quality bikes originally built by Roberts, and then by Coventry Eagle. Unfortunately, they were another company to fall into the hands of Ernie Clements. He bought several well known companies including Harry Quinn and imported cheap mass produced frames from the far east. As the owner he retained the right to decal the frames with the builders names. Hence you have to be very careful with Harry Quinn frames, if it doesn't have a 'Q' frame number it will be an Ernie Clements import. I once met a gentleman who was very proud of having bought one of the last 'limited edition' Harry Quinn frames thinking it would be a good investment. I didn't have the heart to tell him it was a cheap Taiwan import. When Harry found out what Ernie was doing he was so disgusted he started building again in South Wales.

There's even a story about loads of Ernies frames being buried in Telford as he tried to hide them from the bailiffs.

Falcons were built by Roberts...oooh, there goes a flock of flying pigs.

Roadking.

roadking":2pef33q7 said:
Midlife":2pef33q7 said:

Shaun

I'm sceptical too, for if was 653 that would make it 1986 on...additional doubts therefore.

Roadking.

That wiki states they were manufacturing bikes in the 80's and supplying bikes for the falcon teams into the early 90's. So its not implausible that its 1986+.

Also that Falcon competitor is very similar in looks with reynolds 531c and thats stated as a 1986!

roadking":125kapxr said:
Falcons were built by Roberts...oooh, there goes a flock of flying pigs.

Roadking.

Ernie Clements moved to Roberts in 1955. In 1956, Roberts Cycle Industries at Smethwick started to build Falcon. 1957 Coventry Eagle bought Roberts and Ernie's Falcon brand. Ernie Clements became works manager and bought out Douglas Mayo when he retired. The company became Falcon Cycles.

So where are the flying pigs?

Or are you thinking of Charles Roberts? :)

All the Falcon history is included in Nigel Land's book, and properly researched!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elswick-Hopper- ... ycle+maker

More photos. Whats this fork crown type called? I had the same on my Raleigh Panasonic Team Pro. also got a photo of the serial number, doesnt mean anything to me though??

BD2D256C-0178-4163-8AD6-721B1440363A-15311-0000092C54E1474A_zpsc484fe46.jpg

BB58C954-F0CE-41C1-A849-8C3AD3E671A8-15311-0000092C60B0BF22_zps0a80fff3.jpg

B61258DD-DDD0-4E9A-A357-29A16475FA61-15311-0000092C852BD45B_zps349da0c1.jpg

8DEC7EB3-4238-49BA-B928-F6BCAEBC37DF-15311-0000092CAA6D8E30_zpsb3a53efd.jpg

16385AE7-EE69-44C7-97B3-68DD4E9C64C4-15311-0000092CB179F718_zpsb1d4cf20.jpg

Re: Falcon Triomphe

The Falcon Triomphe was their top of the range road bike made from 1985 until about 1987. The '85 and '86 frames were ( very well) constructed in 531C..i can't comment on a version in 653 but it seems entirely possible that the '87 model was constructed in this tubing.

They were VERY good bikes equipped with entire Campagnolo Triomphe groupset with sole exception of headset...which was Tange Levin. That means, BB, seatpost, brakes, levers, hubs, F&R derailleurs plus levers, pedals, etc were all Campag Triomphe. Other components were top notch.

It was an EXPENSIVE bike...more expensive in 1986 than a 600AX equipped Raleigh Road Ace or a Dawes Imperial for example.

It is listed in the '86 Bicycle Buyers Bible and very highly rated...priced at £430 and stated to weigh 9.75kgs (with mudguards!).

I have an absolutely immaculate and totally original '86 version with 62cms frame and it is a delight to ride. I also have a '83 AX Road Ace and far too many very good road bikes of assorted makes, including Mercian, Condor, Raleigh and Carlton Pro, Moser, etc and i can honestly say that the Falcon is probably the best compromise of handling, ride and responsiveness...it's a damn good bike!

Latest posts

Back