I think it's an 83/84 Falcon Olympic?

NigelFinnighan

Rocky Mountain Fan
I try to do as much research on my own as I can before reaching out for help, honestly, deep-dive research is one of my favorite things to do. But I need a little help here with this one, and I might need more help with others.

Long story short- Back a few years ago, a few doors down from me, lived a bike hoarder. He had a yard full of bikes. I was lucky to buy a few parts off of him when he was alive, before his kids hauled everything in the yard to the metal recyclers. I picked out mostly BMX stuff that I easily sold off for over $1k... Anyway, just recently, while driving through our back lane, I see the shimmer of a pile of bikes. I stop of course, in the pile were a few completes, some frames, some wheels, and a few partial frames. (one of these being a mint, and I mean MINT 83 Kuwahara LaserLite, missing it's wheel set, stem and bar. It's crazy what BMX is going for, I"m glad I got out of it). Sorry, mind wanders- also in that pile was this basically. I changed the tires, cables, seat, and tape. and changed the brakes over to a center pull (prefer the set up). Please excuse the seat angle, I've switched to one that doesn't fight me installing it level.

Am I correct to think that it's an 83/84 ish Falcon? Olympic? or am I completely wrong? There's evidence of it being painted blue (with some very clever masking), it may have been red. Either way, I believe the head badge to be original, as well as the "Falcon Special Made In England" seat tube decal.

IMG_5183.jpeg IMG_5185.jpeg

I understand these can be tough to date due to S/N being all over the place. I've read that Falcon used Reynolds tubing, this one should be 531? However, I've also read that they didn't use Reynolds during the boom of the 70's... Can someone please teach me about this bike?

It's too small for me I think, so While I was super happy to have a road bike, it sadly won't be this one- But I also picked up an earlier ( I believe 72/73 ) Falcon Black Diamond with an early 70's Campagnolo derailleurs, but it might be a similar size. And a early 80's Fuji (built out of HI-TEN) with suntour cranks and derailleurs. So I might be without a road bike- any advice? I'm a road bike newbie. IMG_4985.jpeg

IMG_4988.jpeg

Back