F1 How Awful To See Vettel's Decline!

highlandsflyer":2ietw94v said:
Gosh, maybe this all comes down to values.

Chasing Shitslinger certainly doesn't seem like a whimsy.

The woman you mate with is a hell of a lot more important than the next million, or world championship, once you already gained those marks.

That is the way I like to think, and my excuse for never achieving much else than mating with the woman of my dreams!

:)
I think that's the thing, though, on the values. Here him talk about his history and what he wants, and he talks the talk of wanting to be like his heros, and to emulate the success of people like Schumacher.

It's not like he says - "You know what? F1 - it's kinda cool, but I want to play the field a bit and have some fun, too..." - that's the difference - what he says, and how he appears to behave have seemed a bit incongruous at times.

And the other aspect being clearly for some drivers it's an evolutionary thing - Button also seemed to play the celeb bit in the earlier part of his career, too - then settled down and became more focused. Perhaps that's what will happen with Hamilton, now - maybe a very strong season will be good enough to consolidate his focus, and actually try to achieve what those he admires (or should admire) have done.

Or maybe there'll be seasons where the car isn't as strong, or is more inconsistent, and we'll get to witness a certain emotional thrill ride, and flashes of brilliance, and some unfulfilled potential.

I know there's the George Best, "Where did it all go wrong..." thing, and the living like James Hunt - or even the Kimi Raikkonnen of F1s. But for all that, he's not got that certain something to pull off Raikkonnens laconic, devil-may-care attitude. With Hamilton, it always seems this rather conformist adherence to the appearance / lifestyle / accoutrements of some other celebs. When he talks about his ambition and his passion, he talks about his dreams when he was young, of aiming for F1 and one day being able to drive there. He doesn't say - "Yeah, I raced and worked hard for all those years, for a chance to get into F1, make some money, get famous, and party all the time..."

What I find a little disappointing with Hamilton, is you see this spark, at times - a level of performance that I suspect there's not many on the grid - or perhaps of all time, that could either better or live with. But at other times, I see unfulfilled potential. What I want to see is more of that spark, and less of the attitude and whimsy that people can see on countless reality TV programmes full of wannabes.

See my earlier remarks. He has never strayed far from the very top, and that is regardless of what he gets up to off the track.

He really has no case to answer, but to himself of course.

Back