F1 How Awful To See Vettel's Decline!

Sounds like you're all jealous because Hamilton's living the lifestyle while you're all riding around on old pushbikes that anyone in the right mind would consider scrap metal:)

superstar1":ecyw7jnc said:
Sounds like you're all jealous because Hamilton's living the lifestyle while you're all riding around on old pushbikes that anyone in the right mind would consider scrap metal:)
I don't resent Hamilton having a celeb lifestyle. I just happen to think, in recent years, it's been to the detriment of his F1 career at times.

Whereas Vettel? Not so much - he doesn't seem to have either let it distract him, or be something he's pursued.

And it's good to see a bit more return to form from Vettel - he performed strongly yesterday.

Neil":b15f8kdn said:
superstar1":b15f8kdn said:
I don't resent Hamilton having a celeb lifestyle. I just happen to think, in recent years, it's been to the detriment of his F1 career at times.

Whereas Vettel? Not so much - he doesn't seem to have either let it distract him, or be something he's pursued.

And it's good to see a bit more return to form from Vettel - he performed strongly yesterday.

Hamilton won a races with an inferior car for years, lets see what Vettel's made of because its not a done deal that Redbull will get the car sorted this season to be seriously competitive.

I am not at all jealous of Hamilton. Not one iota. I don't have to go out and risk my life every week to put food on our table. Mind you, neither does Hamilton. He already made it, and could retire a very wealthy man tomorrow. I just couldn't take the risks he takes.

I respect his achievements, but I understand why some would prefer the way in which Vettel has conducted his career so far.

For me, I think as a world F1 champion you are duty bound to live a fast and glamorous life, it is part of the deal.

So Hamilton scores very highly there, though he needs to get on top of the women situation.

He is a ground breaker. Inspirational in so many ways, and there is direct evidence of that coming through now.

I actually kind of love the guy, care about him kind of thing.

Very few total strangers engender that kind of feeling in me.

superstar1":2gqf3777 said:

Right enuff! I think I am in my right mind though, as I do indeed consider I am riding around on scrap. Not all metal mind you, but scrap none the less.

superstar1":35vkj8wh said:
Neil":35vkj8wh said:

Hamilton won a races with an inferior car for years
Has he? When?

Sure, he has produced some fine qualie laps - true flashes of genius and inspiration at times.

But over his time? If I was to say anything, it would be that he could have had more consistency and better results without getting seemingly distracted by either lifestyle or the instrusion of emotional ups and downs in his racing. Now some may think that harsh. Some may think that's easy criticism to make - but he's seemed almost a passenger to the rollercoaster of his emotions at times. Fecked around doing pointless things like getting his ears pierced and tattoos, and farting around with his hair, whilst having up and down seasons, whilst others of his peers have quietly got on with the job in hand.

Case in point: Vettel, in comparison to Hamilton.

Now I'm not going to damn Hamilton for his first year - after all, it was a spectacular year, where a rookie showed he was more than up for a fight with Alonso. But sure, youth, inexperience and pressure mean that we don't look at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory that year as some indictment.

But it comes down to lifestyle and outlook - cue Vettel vs Hamilton. Now sure, in a rather James Hunt-esque manner, Hamilton may look back at this chunk of his career and say - "Hey, man, I was having the time of my life..." and no doubt that's true. But over the same period, Vettel got 4 x WDC.

lets see what Vettel's made of because its not a done deal that Redbull will get the car sorted this season to be seriously competitive.
I doubt they'll get to the point where they're completely on terms with team Merc. They may well get to the point where on aero terms and aero limited tracks, they are on par though.

Thing is, with team Merc, it can't purely be the engine / power unit. Other teams use the same engine - whilst it seems to be a major strength, on circuits where power is the main consideration, and perhaps they know a few secrets or how to get the best from it. All the same, though, their aero must be non-too-shabby.

Sometimes what irks me is the goldfish-like attention span of F1. If somebody has a strong race they're a hero, if they don't do much for a couple of races it's like they never existed. I think it was awfully previous of people to be writing off Vettel because of this early chunk of the season. I mean sure, it wasn't just one race he struggled with, and Ricciardo has been consistently impressive all season. But all the same, Vettel is a 4 x WDC - that's not an accident.

If we'd got half way through the season, and Vettel had been consistently out-performed by Ricciardo, then there's true questions to be asked - either Ricciardo is very, very good, or Vettel not as good as we thought, or gone off the boil. But Vettel's performance in Spain showed he's not about to just accept things as not going too well for him.

And I find myself conflicted writing this, anyways, 'cos I'm hardly a fan of Vettel. It's just when I compare him with Hamilton - in that their path to F1 has had similar attention from TPB, and talent as well as expectation has been high, and I see two drivers going about things in different ways, both seemingly espousing the same enthusiasm about the sport. And true, Vettel has been with a very strong team for quite some years and had some consistency. But Hamilton has played at the celebrity lifestyle quite a bit and blown hot and cold at times (more than just his equipment) which implies to me at least, he's let his eye get taken off the ball at times.

But is it really the ball?

Is the hedonism not part of the package?

I can't find it in me to think Hamilton has made any mistake chasing more attractive things than world championships.

highlandsflyer":75t3ahkh said:
But is it really the ball?
I suppose it depends on the driver.

Going off what they say, including Hamilton, I'd say yes... James Hunt's days, despite the odd anomaly of Kimi Raikkonnen are largely gone.

Is the hedonism not part of the package?
Film stars, musicians, perhaps some sports people who've largely made their mark - perhaps.

I'd say for those that want to achieve in F1 like their heroes, and like they say they want to - well not really, or not right now.

I can't find it in me to think Hamilton has made any mistake chasing more attractive things than world championships.
I don't think it's necessarily part of some plan, though. I don't think it was considered - more distracted.

Look at Button - in his early F1 career, he appeared to have a similar lifestyle, too - clearly enjoying, perhaps too much, the celebrity status and lifestyle.

Look back at the history of relatively modern F1 - the playboys, the Irvines, the Hunts - I'm sure there's others, who clearly enjoyed their time, well they had achievements - Hunt was a world champion. But the multi-world-champions? A bit of a different breed.

I think Hamilton has the talent for it. Up to now, I'd question his temperament and focus - now some may say that's harsh - some, perhaps even him would probably say nobody is more focused, more driven to achieve. But all the same, I can't help but think all the drama, all the earrings, the tattoos, the celebrity lifestyle, it's all just seemed like poorly timed distractions, that the ones that do really achieve, don't get distracted by.

Perhaps he'll get it out of his system - Button seemed to evolve. Perhaps he's talented enough, and will be sufficiently focused enough when the car is on song, for him to achieve.

Thing is, he's still young. He could attack it more like the more consistent performers, quite possibly achieve multiple world championships, retire a very wealthy, still relatively young guy at 35, and live like Hugh Hefner.

It'd be different if he walked around saying, "Yeah, man, F1 is important, but it's not the only thing - I want some bling, some babes, some booze, and blackjack and hookers, and I want to have a wild time, ALL the time..." - but that's not what he walks around and says.

I can't imagine ever putting chasing kitty on hold, not for anything.

Glad even high achievers like Hamilton are with me.

Vettel must be impotent.

Back