Explosif questions!!

ps no reason why you can't go old school and run a slightly fatter version of your tire choice on the front..........

Tyre clearance

I've a 1996 Explosif in dark green. It still has the original scratch and sniff tyres on and there's a good 10 mms clearance on each side. I think they are 1.95s.

Darren

Re: Tyre clearance

ancient biker":1ksdzprx said:
I've a 1996 Explosif in dark green. It still has the original scratch and sniff tyres on and there's a good 10 mms clearance on each side. I think they are 1.95s.

Darren

Hi Darren - in that case you're just the man to tell me this! Where the chainstays are kinked to give more tyre clearance is there also a "crimp" on the inside facing the tyre - in other words is the tube folded back in on itself giving a concave section like the one in this photo ?

If so, then that's the version that I need to try and find, as it seems to have far more clearance than the '95 :cool:

Many thanks,

Andy.

Attachments

• Explosif-yellow-1.jpg
    Explosif-yellow-1.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 1,332
Clearance

Hi Andy

Just checked and its exactly like that - you'd easily fit the fattest of fat tyres on there. Desperate Dan size even? :LOL:

d

I just have to add that I´m currently running Maxxis Medusas on my 92 Explosif and in drier weather use Scwalbe Smart Sams for that bike. Both are 2.1 and though there isn't a ton of clearance on the stays they don't rub or touch when riding. So you should have no prob running a bigger tyre up front and a 2.1 in the rear. Even Joe Murray rode 2.1 in the front and 2.0 in the rear.

Re: Clearance

ancient biker":3o77wqsa said:
Hi Andy

Just checked and its exactly like that - you'd easily fit the fattest of fat tyres on there. Desperate Dan size even? :LOL:

d

Darren - many thanks mate, seems like it's just the '95 that has such pitiful tyre clearance, even my 1988 Explosif has a fair bit more.

As Messiah said, it's a bit of a design flaw.

Andy.

Back