Golden unicorn Explosif

Good to see it’s getting sorted out,it will make a good build,odd one with just the one shifter on the go as a posed a nice set of thumbies n levers.
Shame about the seat post and that seat is 🤮
I bid £236.
on it while finishing my break at work and got the message saying pipd by a fiver🤣

Good to see it’s getting sorted out,it will make a good build,odd one with just the one shifter on the go as a posed a nice set of thumbies n levers.
Shame about the seat post and that seat is 🤮
I bid £236.
on it while finishing my break at work and got the message saying pipd by a fiver🤣

I assume the left shifter exploded like many of them did. To be fair, many of us swapped the thumbies for rapidfire back in the day, then wept many years later...

If it makes you feel better, I had gone higher on my bid, it was just the auto bid pushing it by £5 at a time

Some tinkering occurred today…

Bad bits - lots of slightly rusted bolts, ruined the non drive side crank cap and cannot remove the cassette lock ring despite much leverage, one of the cable outers had rusted into the frame boss

Good bits - peddles stripped down, probably need new bearings before rebuild, cranks came off nicely and the bb loosened on both sides so should come out nicely, all the brakes and mechs bolt nice and free so will pop off at the right time

Doing my research now on best way to get the rust from the frame.

Also wondering if anyone has found a match previously for the paint?

I have used a Revell gold enamel paint to touch up some chips in the paint.
It’s not a great match as it’s a bit light, but for small spots it’s OK.

Still dismantling, the cassette looks pretty nasty from the back and the chain has an excellent variety of corrosion.

IMG_3091.jpeg

Front skewer appeared to be welded together, whilst I got it off after a short battle it wasn’t a complete victory…

IMG_3093.jpeg

Looks like it’s been unused for a long time.
Great to see you are giving it a new lease of life.
Some bits do suggest that like the cassette - to get that built up with nastiness. Many of the bolts are tricky to get Allen keys in without a mallet due to crustiness. It’s going to be much slower than yours!

Front hub was brown inside with missing bearings and could undo by hand, maybe due to the fused skewer…

But it can be quite contradictory, rear hub was nicely greased and adjusted, just a standard clean up to refresh.

Headset feels very gunked up so looking forward to those delights.

Back