Eroica's coming to the UK

TGR":3qp23vq4 said:
Morning Robbie,

I have PMEd you about something totally unrelated!

Richard

Morning Richard,

It's all done :)

I thought I sent a pm but just realised my messages box is full so maybe it's not gone through. Must be time for a Christmas clear out :)

vivelesalpes":1lu7m5r6 said:
Ugo I've been in contact with the organisers about this as I had been promised £55 too. Apparently they've had issues with their lists and the booking engine.

If you e-mail them they are going to sort this out on Monday. This was confirmed on Twitter this lunchtime.

I had already decided to do another event instead... money and time are at a premium and I am not convinced the Eroica UK will deliver and I am not even convinced I have much to share with what the organisers have in mind... it all seems very corporate and sterile, just the opposite of what I look for

Just had a look and the pricing has put me off too. I try to the one in Italy or maybe Retro Ronde, it's not far from Suffolk.

It is only about 50 miles to Harwich, get the ferry to hook of Holland and cycle another 130miles to the event sounds like fun to me. I could fit a beam mounted rack for the week end and take it off for the ride. I think I would get the train back. Entry fee is 30 euro's that is more reasonable.

I am also going to enter the 2014 tour de Flander sportive. 30 euro's too! I am not going to do another U.K sportive well I have only done one the ride 100 and I will make an exception for that again. All the other's are overpriced wastes of money.

bm0p700f":2db8586g said:
Just had a look and the pricing has put me off too. I try to the one in Italy or maybe Retro Ronde, it's not far from Suffolk.

It is only about 50 miles to Harwich, get the ferry to hook of Holland and cycle another 130miles to the event sounds like fun to me. I could fit a beam mounted rack for the week end and take it off for the ride. I think I would get the train back. Entry fee is 30 euro's that is more reasonable.

I am also going to enter the 2014 tour de Flander sportive. 30 euro's too! I am not going to do another U.K sportive well I have only done one the ride 100 and I will make an exception for that again. All the other's are overpriced wastes of money.

Retro Ronde is really good, but try the Paris-Robaix Cyclo earlier in June instead. We are doing that next year, ultimate test for hand built wheels... :xmas-wink:

http://www.vc-roubaix-cyclo.fr/site/

I might do that as well. I will see how I will get on the Tour of Flanders course though. I will be riding a retro as well, Pinerello Monvisio with DA 8 speed groupset and Nemsis rims on 7403 DA hubs and Pave tubs. It think it is the prefect machine for the job.

I did the entry last night 259km and a fair bit on cobble and the climbs what have I let myself in for.

bm0p700f":3eb8s5le said:
I might do that as well. I will see how I will get on the Tour of Flanders course though. I will be riding a retro as well, Pinerello Monvisio with DA 8 speed groupset and Nemsis rims on 7403 DA hubs and Pave tubs. It think it is the prefect machine for the job.

I did the entry last night 259km and a fair bit on cobble and the climbs what have I let myself in for.

The Flemmish cobbles are well maintained, as they are typically fairly busy lanes or town streets... the French ones are really just farm tracks between two fields of sugar beet or rapeseed and are not maintained at all... they are a hell of a lot harder... but ultimately all cobbles are fun.
I didn't enjoy the RVV as an event, too many people, too many bottlenecks... the PR cyclo is a superb event, not overly busy... only thing it hurts big time!

ugo 160 miles in less than 10 hours is going to hurt cobbles or not. The "offical" Paris Robouix cyclo is only one week after the tour de Flanders so that's out. I have looked at the link you posted, thanks I might do this as I have always wanted to do it. However can it hurt more than a 4 hour off road MTB race on a 90's rigid steel bike. I am not sure but that hurt alot.

bm0p700f":1dg9k8bz said:
ugo 160 miles in less than 10 hours is going to hurt cobbles or not. The "offical" Paris Robouix cyclo is only one week after the tour de Flanders so that's out. I have looked at the link you posted, thanks I might do this as I have always wanted to do it. However can it hurt more than a 4 hour off road MTB race on a 90's rigid steel bike. I am not sure but that hurt alot.

Only way to know is to enter... I remember I could not clench my fists for a couple of days and had pain in my fingers for a few months

The ASO "official" event is the upstart, the proper event is the VC Roubaix event which runs every 2 years - regrettably that's been cut down to 200km rather than the full-length 269km. In terms of hurting more than a 4 hour MTB race on a rigid bike? Put the grimace-factor up a further 10 notches...

Latest posts

Back