Engineering Help Needed.

Iwasgoodonce":31ren3hz said:
The World's most heavy handed woman ripped the damn thing clean apart

Why, have you had my nan round to visit? I've lost count of the number of times she's managed to knacker the loo-roll holder (how??? why??? :shock:) round at my parents' house....

David

Iwasgoodonce":1hjkpedg said:
All I need to do now is find somewhere local that will sell me a small quantity of 30 x 5mm mild steel flat.

try Bb&Q they sell steel bar that is very close to that size, would be 1 m length.

Weeman, I'll let you know and obviously, thanks for the kind offer. I had tried the local (and quite large) B & Q and they had nothing. I assumed they didn't do it but, having looked on the website, they do 30 x 4mm. This might suit better as I only have a medium sized flux cored wire arc/MIG type machine and penetration will be better I suspect.

I'm driving to Wales tomorrow and will try the Telford store.

Thanks again.

Iwasgoodonce":2e3vikul said:
Weeman, I'll let you know and obviously, thanks for the kind offer. I had tried the local (and quite large) B & Q and they had nothing. I assumed they didn't do it but, having looked on the website, they do 30 x 4mm. This might suit better as I only have a medium sized flux cored wire arc/MIG type machine and penetration will be better I suspect.

I'm driving to Wales tomorrow and will try the Telford store.

Thanks again.
No problem, happy to help if you draw a blank at B&Q tomorrow.

Well, B & Q came good! Two metres of 30 x 4mm flat for a tenner. More than I paid for 5 metres of 40 x 5mm but still, not a lot of money.

Thanks again Weeman. Hopefully, at the weekend we will be able to use the patio doors again. It all depend on whether my theory on how to get the lock working works in practice.

Success! The new handle is made and fitted. The loch mechanism works perfectly and although bigger than the original, doesn't look too out of place. Cleaning up and painting when I can be bothered.

One thing, I ran out of wire and had to dash out and get some more yesterday. Despite getting the same stuff from the same place, I couldn't get it to weld in the same way as yesterday. It seemed to splatter a lot more with little balls of metal everywhere. Also I seemed to get a sort of almost oily substance left on the weld. The slag yesterday was a lot crustier. Any ideas?

Anyhow, here it is prior to the last bit of welding. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 92
Back